Sign in to follow this  
lunarstudio

Main Page Magazine Mode Image Size Problem.

lunarstudio

On one of my websites: www.mightyfunk.com, I'm encountering an image size issue. This blog (an autoblog) is automatically set up to pull content from other website's RSS feeds and give a brief summary of other sites content. It has over 20,000 images, so it would be difficult for me to redo this all by hand. On the first page (home page) right now, there is one post which is #7 and reads 'God Smiles by Tim Crowder.' It's a solo image in a post, and instead of this site just posting the headline, it also posted that image without resizing it to the same sizes as each of the magazine containers (the other 9 article listings/synopses on that page. How would I get that image to automatically scale properly, or not be included as a worst-case scenario on each of my main pages? Right now, it's breaking the design. Thank you.

Rob
From what you're saying, each post in that site is delivered via RSS feed, thus you cannot change the image size in the actual post because it's on someone else's site. Is that correct? Are you using a plugin to get that feed?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
And resizing the image to thumbnail size doesn't work? Keep in mind, when you upload, WP (not Pagelines) actually creates multiple sizes for each image, including a thumbnail. You can FTP to your site to find that image and see the actual filename of the smaller image, then add that by creating a link to it.

lunarstudio
Thanks, but I don't think you fully understand my problem. If you saw my page, you'd probably understand what I am talking about. Forget about everything I said for now. I have an image in a post. It appears before the text. Unfortunately, it also appears on my main page full-size (magazine layout) which causes it to overlap the neighboring article snippets and headers. The ONLY reason I mentioned the automated part is just to point out that I have over 20,000 images, and it's unrealistic/impractical for me to have to go through by hand and manually resize them. The question is, is there another way that Platform Pro can handle images that appear in the Magazine Layout front page by resizing them or at least not counting images that appear first? If you look at my front page, you will see what is going on.

Rob
Hi, I apologize if you misunderstood me. I did see your site and saw the large image which overlaps the excerpt to its right. I'm not sure you understood me. Every time you upload an image into Wordpress (not Platform), the image is by default, resized. Why? Because when you are adding the image to different things it's much easier for page load time to have a pre-sized image. So, even if you add a 1600px by 1600px image, if you use the WP upload function, it will create a 300x300 and a 150x150 version. Go to your Dashboard > Media > Library. You can see all the images you've uploaded. Select the one you want in that excerpt/post and choose the size you wish. The URL provided at the bottom can be copied and added to an

lunarstudio
Right now I'm showing that I have over 438,000 unattached images in that screen. It would be impossible to find each one and do it manually. So my question is, is there some way to have Pagelines resize them properly and automatically just for the excerpts?

Rob
You have to understand all this functionality you're looking for - image sizing, placement, etc is not a theme function, whether it's PlatformPro or any other. These are WP functions. As I've mentioned several times, WORDPRESS makes copies of each uploaded image automatically. All you need is the larger image name and you can find the smaller ones. There's a default format for it. BUT, it's a WP function. You simply have to find one to find the default format WP uses to create the smaller size ones then you just know which image to apply by default. It should be so easy. You need to research how WP handles images.

Rob
I do not mean that you must change every post, or add a featured image to every post. You asked about changing ONE post with a large image. I've explained that you already have an image in your library that is the exact same one and has been cropped to different sizes by Wordpress. To fix just that one image, you simply need to find the image in your library by searching for its filename and look for the corresponding thumbnail size or 300x300 (whichever you wish) and replace the single image. If you're talking about replacing all existing images, or adding featured images, that's a completely different matter than the question you asked. I did not recommend that. However, using "Search and Replace", or with basic PHP skills, you should be able to locate every image file you have, make a list of each corresponding image (in bulk) and replace it with the smaller size. Since this is not a PlatformPro matter, but a Wordpress matter, I think you're more likely to find support answers that meet your needs in the Wordpress.org forums where there are people who specialize in image control. Our role here is to resolve problems with the theme you're using, and with the styling set by the theme. You are able through Wordpress to select any image you find problematic and resize it. When adding an image to any post, excerpt or otherwise, be very cautious about the size you select (the image add function has options). I actually am trying to help you with this, but every solution I've offered doesn't seem to work for you. Hence, I'm bumping this again to the developers for their attention.

lunarstudio
"You asked about changing ONE post with a large image." -Okay I wasn't clear. But now I'm being clear - I want it done throughout the entire site. "However, using "Search and Replace", or with basic PHP skills, you should be able to locate every image file you have, make a list of each corresponding image (in bulk) and replace it with the smaller size." -I only want to resize an image if it appears in excerpt, but NOT in the body of the post. The problem is the way your suggesting means that I would have to make it smaller in the body post which in turn would affect the excerpt and vice-versa. I simply want control over images if they happen to appear in the excerpts, and nothing else. "Since this is not a PlatformPro matter, but a Wordpress matter" -Are the excerpts controlled by PlatformPro or Wordpress? Since I've created my own themes before, I would venture a little of both. Besides, it might be something they want to consider in future updates unless it's something I'm overlooking (and hence why I was writing here in the first place.) "You are able through Wordpress to select any image you find problematic and resize it." - Again, please see the section 2 spots above. I only want to control if it happens to appear in the excerpt only, and not the actual post. I would also like the option of having the first images PageLines comes across presented first and foremost in the excerpts (in particular if I go Blog mode) - which is a DIFFERENT question that I posted to a different topic which you hijacked.

lunarstudio
I just found a solution. Firstly, I'm not sure if this needed to be done but I generated thumbnails using the "Regenerate Thumbnails" plugin. I waited 1/2 a day but when I came back, they were all unattached... Then I downloaded another plugin called "Thumbnail for Excerpts." It's not quite the "Featured Image" solution that I would prefer which is outdented, but it's still more visibly appealing than just plain text.

Simon
your rss plugin *should* have a thumbnail size setting, so you can control which thumbs get created when it adds the post. With 20000 posts you are looking at 80,000 images already, wp make 3 thumbs and saves the original, your server will eventually start to complain! And does it not have a setting for the post as to which thumbsize it inserts?

lunarstudio
Well, the problem is that it comes from over 50 different resources, very similar to any RSS Reader or Google Reader for that matter. So I don't have control nor the time to inform all of the website masters as to how they should format their RSS feeds as well as their thumbnail sizes. Besidesm they might have their own preferences.