Sign in to follow this  
cvandyck

Post Archive Visible on Sidebar

cvandyck

On my postpage, it limits to 5 posts. I would like to have the older posts no longer visible in the main content section of the post page roll to a side bar archive where it just shows the title heading and can be connected to for the content. Any suggestions?

Rob
How about using the RSS widget? Or an RSS plugin that will offset by your 5 latest posts? You can always pull your own RSS back onto a page.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cvandyck
i don't understand how rss works .. how can i pick selected urls that change constantly

Rob
Every WP site, Joomla, Blogger or other sites contain an RSS feed. It's very simple. You find the RSS links and copy them. If you go to your Widgets section, for example, you'll find a button for RSS. Drag it to your sidebar. As an experiment, we'll use my blog RSS. Once the widget is dropped into the sidebar, it will open. A field will open to ask for the feed URL. Paste the following in there [code]http://www.epicurus.com/blog/feed[/code] Set the number of posts from 1 to any number you wish to receive. For this test, let's try 3. Add a title. Call it "Epicurus Blog" for this test. Save it. Then go to your site, refresh the page and voila! You should have the latest 3 posts from my site on yours. Admittedly, the links will open my site, not yours. But, you can let your readers know about other content. As the source site updates and adds new content, the feed automatically changes so you don't have to add new content at any time to that widget. Once you've tested, please just remove the widget from the sidebar. The plugins I recommend will allow you to do more with RSS, like embedding it into the body of your site content area. I do this with the BBC's Good Food. See http://www.epicurus.com/blog/bbc-recipes For that, I use http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/inlinefeed/

cvandyck
ok... so that works great .... how do I : 1. set the font size, etc for the items noted through the RSS feed in my sidebar, 2. show only the items that are not currently on the post page (if there is a way), and 3. establish an order .. ie... list by date published?

Rob
1. The font size should be set by the Design settings. You can always style something. Best to use Firebug to find the right div to style. 2. You need an offset. In other words. If you showed 2 posts in the page, and you want 5 on the side, you want to offset the 5 on the side to exclude the 2 on the post, avoiding repeats. Check this http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2008/12/02/10-useful-rss-hacks-for-wordpress/ 3. You can probably order the list using CSS, but why would you? If you change the order, for example, the latest post fed by the other site could show up in the middle of your list. Would that make sense? You're much better off using the most recent post at the top as your principle as the older post will drop off the bottom and the top will be replaced by the most recent. Your readers will be able to follow that, easily.

cvandyck
so got it, and it works .. thx ... one last thing on this ... do you have any suggestions on how I could insert a line break, or a line or some way to differentiate between each post in the sidebar archive ... www.restorehonorscourses.org

Jenny
Insert a line break using a [code]
[/code] where you want an extra line (two breaks might be necessary). You could also insert a [code]
[/code] for a horizontal line.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

cvandyck
This is in the rss feed. Since it is automatic rec of posts, I don't understand where /how tobput the line break Ifbthis was just publishing a page, I understand to putbit in the HTML , but on theirs I don't know where that is

Jenny
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that being part of a widget that you couldn't edit. Try adding the following to your custom CSS: [code]#rss-2.widget_rss ul { margin: 0 7px 10px 0.4em; } #rss-2.widget_rss ul li { border-bottom: 1px dotted; }[/code] This should give you a dotted horizontal line after each post (using a bottom border). I also adjusted the margin in the code to the line is centered better.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Isn't Jenny just amazing? Catrina and Kate too!

Jenny
haha Thanks! And I have learned a lot from @Catrina and @Kate since I first found PageLines!