Sign in to follow this  
jmsookias

Designing My Home Page

jmsookias

I am new to wordpress, I have gotten the hang of it but I can't seem to get homepages right. So when I first started making the website for this law firm they didn't have any posts and I couldn't figure out how to edit the home page to put in static content. So, I created a static page and placed that as the landing page. Now we are starting to post on the site and I want them to appear on the home page. How do I do that?

cmunns
Go back to SETTINGS - READING and change the option there back to default if you want the old blog page as the home page.

jmsookias
Yeah but then how do I get a features bar and boxes on the homepage?

jmsookias
Yeah, but that is only for static pages. Basically, I want my home page to have a feature slider, boxes, and the blog feed. Any idea on how to do that?

Kate
Do you want the blog feed on its own individual page as well? There are a couple of approaches, so knowing that will help us help you with the best approach.

jmsookias
Yes, I'd like to have maybe 3-4 recent posts on the front page, under the boxes. I would also want a separate page dedicated to the recent blog posts. As I had it before, I had all the blog categories as sub-categories to main blog category and placed that on the navigation bar. Thanks

kastelic
Your homepage or "blog" template is controlled in Template Setup (posts page) just like the static page. You can add boxes etc, to it and it they will appear there above your blog posts. One idea here might be to have the "home" page your blog page and a category page for your main blog page. The category would be something that all posts are in, like "news". To do this you just make a category called news and then add that category as a menu item in Appearance -> Menus.

jmsookias
Great thanks, what would the homepage or blog page be titled under in the Template setup?

Danny
This is where Platform is powerful, just have a play around and experiment with the different templates adding and removing sections as you like. I would try using the Posts Page like Kastelic suggested and go from there. But I would really recommend creating your very own template, so that your Homepage has a unique template and one that won't be used by anything else. To create your own template have a read of the link below, scroll down until you come to the section called "Adding Drag and Drop Page Templates". http://www.pagelines.com/docs/custom-sections

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmsookias
Well I tried to change the Featured Page template by adding "content" but it didn't show the recent posts. What exactly should I add?

Danny
Hi, What you could do is use the feature template, and then read through the link below and give this a try: http://www.rhanney.co.uk/2010/08/26/simple-recent-posts-shortcodes-for-wordpress/ Although I havent tried this method before, its worth a shot. From the looks of it, all you would need to do is, where it says "Simply adding the code below to my theme??™s functions.php allowed me to use the shortcode [recent-posts] wherever I liked." add that to your functions.php located in /themes/platformbase/ and once that has been added go to your Homepage in the Wordpress admin panel and add the shortcode [recent posts] into the content area and save the page. Hopefully that should work. If it doesn't reply to this post so I can try to assist your further.

Please search our forums, before posting!