Sign in to follow this  
augemundial

Platform Pro not compatible with BuddyPress 1.5

augemundial

Buddypress 1.5 has been recently launched, and I upgraded it in a non-production server just to check it out. Unfortunately I found out that none of the BP sections (such /activity, /members and so on) work on Platform Pro -and everything work fine when I use the BP sample theme. I already deactivate some plugins, but seems like the problem is in Platform Pro. I'm Using Buddypress 1.5, WP 3.2.1, BP Template Pack 1.2 and Platform Pro 1.5.3

Rob
I've bumped this up to a developer to research.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

augemundial
Thank you, I look forward for an update, since BP 1.5 comes with many features I'd like to use.

Rob
Hi. Actually, Buddypress 1.5 is functionally compatible in toto. However, it requires considerable patience, tolerance and taking the time to read everything carefully as well as trying different options. All of which I was myself guilty of not trying as you'll see from my post. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/13966/buddypress-bbpress-and-platformpro-solutions#Item_2 In point of fact, the problems with the two stem from dramatic changes in Buddypress which is pushing people to use its own theme, adding considerable CSS styling that causes conflicts in any other theme, not just Platform. With help from one of our colleagues here, last night, I was able to make it work perfectly on my site, complete with my own sidebars, styling requirements and font sizes. I couldn't be happier with it. (Thank you again Jenny!) There is, I admit, a need for extensive customization of your Buddypress installation by CSS. However, It took about an hour last night to figure out the CSS that had been troubling me for weeks. Again, this can be done, with patience and the help of Firebug and someone who knows CSS.

mauiaaron
Here's my $0.02 (mostly to remind me how I fixed the issues I encountered just in case it happens again with another BP upgrade) :-| So I too was seeing problems with buddypress pages( /activity , /members, etc) after upgrading to Buddypress 1.5 and Template Pack 1.2. On buddypress pages, the buddypress content was displayed like a fullwidth layout, making my sidebar1 appear below all the BP stuff. (BTW @rangelone comment about reading the information given on the BP Compatibility page really helped me fix this problem.) It turns out my problems were in platformbase/activity/index.php , platformbase/members/index.php , etc. Adding a
around the entire
block solved my problem. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like the Template Pack upgrade was the culprit here. Anyway I'm still testing, but it appears to be working just fine after wrapping BP in another div :-) ... (BTW for the template pack upgrade I did the following: back up filesystem/DB, then removed platformbase directory and reinstalled vanilla platformbase 1.4.1. Then I ran through the BP Compatibility administrative page again. Finally I merged/layered my own customizations back in.)

Rob
Isn't it amazing how my 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Wigmore was right when she said "if you want to fix a problem, read and learn"? She had that on the blackboard throughout the entire school year. So incredibly intuitive.

sglanville
So I've bumped my head pretty hard trying to get platform pro to work with buddypress 1.5. According to the buddypress site themes will have to be updated to work with it. Here's a link to buddypress (the comment is near the bottom.) http://codex.buddypress.org/releases/upgrading-to-buddypress-1-5/ Can you share any schedule to make the needed updates?

Rob
I've managed to get it working and made it look pretty good using proper settings (they are more complicated now than ever before) and considerable styling, which has to be customized to every site. The most critical thing is that if you install the bbPress plugin to integrate forums into groups, in Dashboard > Settings > Forums, if you scroll down, you'll see an error in red next to the word "forums". There's a conflict between what bbPress calls forums and what Buddypress calls them. Just change the word right there on that page to something like 'discussions' or 'discuss' and the bulk of your problems will vanish. Most of the rest is about properly reading and understanding each setting in Buddypress. Make sure you've successfully run the BP Compatibility Test.

buddha
Extensive CSS customization sounds counter-intuitive to a drag and drop theme.

Rob
The reason for the customization is not the result of Platform or its drag and drop functionality, but the bad coding of the folks writing BuddyPress and bbPress. They are the same development group and yet they've actually built in conflicts between the two things that are supposed to work together. Most assuredly you're not suggesting PlatformPro would do that? Basically, they focused alot of attention to their own theme, and want their products to be full width. They couldn't consider all the possibilities of other themes and so their CSS results in odd things happening which must be resolved no matter which theme you may use, other than their own. The only way to fix these problems is by customization. If there's any counter-intuitiveness here, it's that of the developers of Buddypress and bbPress, which also explains why so many people are switching to other forums.

joan54
some help here!...I am not expert developer (important to provide this background for any response) I am using platform pro last version and platform base last version (just updated). Also updated buddyprees 1.5 as you know the template doesn't work perfectly. However, I follow the instructions above and others in this forum. I guess it is working all the pages in Buddypress (members, groups, etc) but the members page. Any idea what to do? This one works http://www.lacasarojas.com/blogs/ also this http://www.lacasarojas.com/groups/ but in this one is not working: http://www.lacasarojas.com/activity/ Thank you very much Luis

Rob
Luis, I just looked and it worked for me. Members, Activity.. everything. There are some styling issues, but as I said above, they're fixable with customizing the CSS code. Do you have Firebug for Firefox? It's a nifty little add on to Firefox browser that helps you identify CSS so you can change it.

joan54
Thank you for your answer. it is good to know that mostly it is working. However, I guess not knowing how it should look at the end gives few clues how to proceed. For instance, on http://www.lacasarojas.com/members/ there are a black dot next to the picture, a yellow tab..(this wasn't there before), and in the other side a "add friend" button ( that is repeated) I suppose this is the styling issue you are referring to. If so, i guess I can try to fix customizing the CSS code. Question: which CSS file is that? I found these 3: bp.css / bp-rtl.css / bp-backpat.css Now, is there something missing on http://www.lacasarojas.com/activity/ ? (buttons, etc.), and is the same CSS file that controls the buttons on members page the one that controls the "activity" page? Thanks a lot for your help. I hope there is an update for the Platform Pro template with all this problems fixed. Again, thanks, Luis

Danny
Hi Luis, To remove the annoying black dot, add this to your CSS Rules located in Platform Settings --> Custom Code: [code] #members-dir-list ul { list-style: none outside none; } [/code] I couldn't see the "add friend" being repeated, this may be due to me not being logged in, if you could provide a test account details, I can take a closer look. As to your second question, what do you mean by missing buttons?

Please search our forums, before posting!

joan54
Hi Danny, Thank you for your answer. 1. about the "add friend", I have just noticed that i can see it on Chrome, FireFox but not on Safari and Explorer (here is a pic http://www.lacasarojas.com/docs/bbpres04.JPG ), also on the group page the button is double: http://www.lacasarojas.com/docs/bbpres03.JPG 2. yes, I've just got Firebug and learning how to use it 3. About the missing buttons, is related to this page: http://www.lacasarojas.com/docs/bbpres02.JPG I don't see any buttons (yellow or white), the fact that I don't see it doesn't tell me that the page doesn't have it. I circled in red the RSS icon that is not proper displayed and in the long red circle, I wonder if a yellow button (or white) is missing. How to know if there is not a sample of how it should be? 4. I am able to see these pages without logging in, however, if you still need a log in information I can send you a password. just let me know. i hope this make sense Thank you for your help. Luis

Danny
Hi Luis, If my memory serves me correctly, the way I resolved these minor CSS issues was I used the default Buddypress template and copied the CSS from there and applied it to my site, this worked well and didn't take as long as I thought. Using Firebug helped a lot, but the real issue is that Buddypress doesn't really like other themes apart from its own. I am still unable to see the double add friend button, so I will need an account but I havent used Buddypress in a long time due to the issues you're having. I have however sent a PM to one of the other forum support mods who has a lot more experience with Buddypress than I do and he will be happy to help you out. I more than happy to take a look if you send me a PM with account details and I will also pass the info to the other support mod so he can take a closer look also if thats OK with you?

Please search our forums, before posting!

joan54
Hi Danny, Sorry for the delay. I still was unable to correct the buttons. Here is the information to access the web: user: kengary Password: makemoney Thanks, Luis

berisberis
HEEEELP! im in the same situation.. i already edited all the template php files in the budypress template pack plugin to have the
[content]
but nothing changed im using buddypress 1.5, wordpress 3.2.1, plattform pro 1.2.3 and buddypress templeate pack plugin 1.2 the simptoms: full width content (and showing just NEXT down the navigation) with sidebar showing all the way down the content in activity, members, groups and blogs tabs (practically in all budypress related content, but not in regular page/posts) just a lot of css mess in buddypress related content.

Rob
Hi, I'm not sure why you're using PlatformPro 1.2.3. Is that a free version? The current paid versions are platformpro 1.5.3 and platformbase 1.4.1. If you have a paid version, you should have both of those loaded in your themes folder. Also, I'm unsure who told you to start editing template files. I'm not even sure if this would work. Please include a link to your site.

berisberis
i got everything working exept the sidebar in buddypress pages...

Rob
@berisberis... I still need a link to your site to help diagnose the problem.

zvelena
@berisberis yes me too ! must be a problem somewhere right ?