Sign in to follow this  
sunnybains

PLEASE HELP: I reset all Platform Pro settings by accident and am supposed to launch TOMORROW

sunnybains

I was putting the finishing touches to the site which I've been honing for weeks. We have a lot of Custom CSS code in particular... All I was trying to do was tweak the footer text when I made a mistake, and decided I wanted to go back to the default footer. Somehow (and there was no warning) I managed to click the button that resets ALL the settings to default, not just the one for the footer. My development team are in a different time zone from me, and so I don't have access to the server right now, but I need to know where I can find the information to restore the site to what it looked like two hours ago, and (hopefully quickly) restore it to that state when my guys wake up. I don't know what specific backup system we have on our server. In Wordpress we have WP-DBManager, and whatever comes as standard with WordPress. Please help! Thanks, Sunny

Danny
Hi Sunny, Sorry to about this, but the only way to get your settings back, since you have done a reset would be to contact your host provider and ask them to restore a backup from the last known backup they have.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sunnybains
Thanks for this. But I really want to ask the Pagelines team... why was there no warning: why didn't a message come up warning that this would irrevocably delete everything? If you have an autodestruct button, shouldn't it be red or something? I'll go back to crying at my desk now.

Simon
You did not see the popup confirmation? [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rsI7V.png[/IMG]

sunnybains
Yes, but it didn't say WHAT settings. I thought it was just the settings for the page I was on, the footer settings. That was exactly what I wanted to do. It didn't say it would restore ALL my settings to default! Honestly, I'm not an idiot. It's true I'm not a programmer, but I've got a degree in Physics, another in Journalism, and a PhD related to AI/computer science. I teach communication for a living at Imperial College London, one of the top universities in the world for engineering. This was NOT a good warning. Please at least tell me that you're going to change it for the future.

sunnybains
Also, your warning does not contain the magic words "this cannot be undone" (or similar) that I'm used to seeing on other software when it's warning you you're about to jump off a 20-storey building.

Rob
Sunny, I agree the language could be better, but if you hit "OK" by accident, even the warning wouldn't have helped. If you did it without thinking, again, all the warnings in the world wouldn't help either. BTW, and LSE grad here. The key isn't so much the warnings as much as not rushing what we're doing, and taking the time to pay attention to our computer screens. It seems to be a phenomenon of modern life that we rush too much. You're not alone. I once wiped out a spreadsheet I used for developing my Master's. Crying? I was screaming. They heard me in Abergavenney.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

augemundial
Jesus saves. Always create backups, and even setting backups for platform pro :)