Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

Firewall

Gavin_

Hi All, does any one use a firewall or scanning or security service plugin that they would recommned. i was using wp-secuity scan but have just found out that it puts code on pages that makes other plugins useless i also tried wordpress firewall 2 but i think it was just blocking anyone coming to the site via a referral link whilst your in your recommend a plugin mode how about a cache plugin? i use w3 total cahce but recent upgrades have not been tested properly. thanks,

Danny
Hi Gavin, Personally, I have never used any of them plugins, but I would say if you keep Wordpress, Themes and Plugins all up todate and have a decent host, you should have no reason to a firewall or security plugin.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
Thanks Danny, no doubt good advice, i have rejected your answer, so as to allow others to share their opinions to.

Gavin_
why has this been marked as answered!!! its not over zealous moderation?

Simon
If you want to open an unanswerable thread, then just open a normal thread not a question. I will turn this thread into a normal thread and move it to 'General'

Rob
Gavin, It is a misnomer that rejecting the answers provided keeps a thread open. It just keeps it in unanswered status, but doesn't change the level of support we'll provide until a matter is closed. Proper etiquette is to accept an answer or ignore the answer, and if you appreciate the moderator's reply, to click the thanks button. As for the questions of a firewall, Danny is correct. A firewall should be provided by your hosting provider and should be absolutely unnecessary in WP. Akismet, which is included in WP, helps ensure you're not spammed routinely. Comments may be spammed, but again, Akismet should catch them, and we recommend (and I personally agree) that Disqus is superb as a commenting system. In terms of Caching, I've found that these actually work to slow your computer down by storing data and building a huge cache file on your server which could ultimately crash the machine. Worpress caches itself pretty well on most machines and is generally not slow unless the website design contains very large files. For example, if you have images that are huge, and have to be resized dynamically by the visitor's browser, it will slow a page. However, if you follow the guidelines of your content area width and understand the padding, you can have full width images that do not overburden browsers. Custom coding, particularly extraneous, outdated coding will also slow down your page load, as well as outdated plugins. Make sure all your plugins are up to date by going through them once a month and checking them with http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins. If the plugin is properly maintained, it should be up to date with positive comments and no one saying it doesn't work.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Gavin_
Ok, thanks for your answer. I always accept and thank - when i think it necessary - i also reject, and if i think the person has not been helpful and is just in some competition to answer as many threads as possible in the shortest time i ignore. I have some feedback for the moderators of this forum - its perhaps better shared off line. The summary is: if i was to look at this today I would not buy pagelines due to the way the support forum is managed. I would go elsewhere. As a customer who has built several websites on this platform perhaps someone would like to know why... or perhaps not.

Rob
Gavin, If we've offended you, I apologize, however, these forums are professionally staffed by competent people whose goal is not to simply reply to as many as they can, but to give the best answers possible. I've purchased even more expensive themes in the past and participated in their forums only to discover the forums are unanswered for months or even years and there's no staff at all. I dare say Wordpress itself has tens of thousands of prematurely closed topics that have never been answered. While many answers seem short, that's only because an answer doesn't need to be long. Quite often I provide very brief answers, while at other times, for more complex issues, I go into extensive instructions helping people achieve their clearly defined objectives. Many times we must find out what that objective is, or find links to the website to see the problem and have to ask. I'd suggest everyone read the "Read This First" sticky post at the top of the forums to know how to do things and ask questions in this forum. Unfortunately, few ever do. To alert the management of your concerns, I'd suggest filling out the Contact Us form linked below under LINKS in the morefoot.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur