Sign in to follow this  
danrfisher

How to control the color of the page margins in a fixed width design?

danrfisher

Background and page background color changes don't seem to do the trick. And I can't just set a background image with what I want, because the background image doesn't seem to affect the margins, only what's in between. Am I missing something here? Thanks very much. www.leadershipjudgment.com

catrina
Can you post a link to your site? Margins don't work the way a page background would, so I think a CSS workaround would need to be implemented.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

danrfisher
Well, as it is now, I have the background img set at 1044px, which is what the page w/o the margins is. If I were to make that image wider, I don't believe it would reach into the margins, even if hey were transparent. But perhaps it's worth a shot? Do you know how one might make them transparent?

catrina
What is the background image? Are you setting as the overall background image or a page canvas background?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

danrfisher
I think I figured it out. I needed to be on full-width so I can utilize the whole screen. On fixed width I guess you can't affect what's outside the content area. I'm now having trouble with my banner placement though, it's visible but under the chess piece image on the site, you can see it peeking through. I have: body #page-canvas {margin-top: 200px;} This is so that there was room at the top for the banner image, but now it's not at the top anymore...any idea what that's about? (In other words, this line of code is now pushing down the entire site, whereas before it was only pushing down the nav bar and everything below, but not the banner image. (Which is what I want)

catrina
body #page-canvas isn't a specific enough selector to push down only the banner. I don't see any banner in any pages, though. Did you disable it?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

danrfisher
Catrina, thanks so much. I really appreciate how helpful you've been and it's nice to know I can confidently come here with questions. Turns out though, that my client likes the white bg so no change will be necessary. By the way, the reason you didn't see the banner before is because I was on full-width but now I'm back on fixed (banner was still there but hidden behind feature images. Banner is back to normal now. Thanks again.