Sign in to follow this  
jlsc

Parse Error? Something in php?

jlsc

Hi there. I was trying to do a simple copy and paste in my base php and the code I was trying to add must have been broken. I deleted that broken code and when I tried to resave the php file, I got this error: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/jlsc/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php on line 102 I cannot access anything on the site now, so unfortunately, I cannot give you the php code. I can't even get to my Word Press dashboard to try to reinstall the child theme. Any suggestions? (I'm quite a novice, so the more detailed you can be the better. Thanks in advance!)

Jenny
Did you try editing a file in PlatformPro or PlatformBase? You should never ever edit the core files (i.e. anything in PlatformPro). With that said, if something is wrong, I recommend downloading the theme again from your Pagelines account and then uploading just the one page you edited.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jlsc
Thanks for the quick response, simple_mama. I think that I was editing PlatformBase. How would I know for sure? I'm a little confused about how to re-upload just that one page because I cannot access my site or my WP control panel at all (because of this parse error). Anything related to the url (which is Makeanddogirl.com, btw), I just get that error. Do you know what I should do? Thanks again for your help.

Jenny
You're welcome! And honestly only you can know for sure which file you edited. But if PlatformBase is your active theme, then that's most likely what you edited. If PlatformPro is your active theme, then you edited the core version of the file which is bad. ;) Since you cannot access your site, then you can just upload the file via FTP or your host's file manager system. Make sure you are uploading the correct file and that you overwrite the old file. Most likely you missed copying a line of code somewhere. And when you do that with PHP.. well.. nothing works. :)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Jenny
Edit: since the error lies in /home/jlsc/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php, then you have platformbase activated, which is good. So download the PlatformBase theme from your account at Pagelines and upload just the functions.php file to your server. Make sure you upload this file to the proper theme, PlatformBase, because the two themes (Base and Pro) have similar names.

jlsc
Thanks again, simple_mama! With your feedback I was able to get things straightened out with my hosting company. You saved the day!

Jenny
Yay! I'm so glad you got everything working again. :)