Sign in to follow this  
ns32

BB press plugin

ns32

Hi??” I have not been able to get my Platform Pro child theme templates to show up on the admin pages that create Forums using the new bbpress plugin. I just want to be able to display a particular sidebar of forum-related widgets on forum-related pages, and it's my understanding that templates is the way to do this. Obviously, the documentation provided by Pagelines for setting up bbpress has not been updated to reflect the new plugin ( as opposed to the old standalone bbpress). I understand that Pagelines has been waiting for a stable version of the plugin to come out. Now that it's here, I was wondering if Pagelines would release documentation about setting up bbpress, since bbpress's documentation about theme compatibility was not enough to help me solve this problem.

Rob
When installing bbPress, did you also install Buddypress? Agreed, the Pagelines bbPress docs are a bit outdated. They're being worked on. Can you provide a link to your site and particularly the forums you're trying to create.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wchaudry
I will be interested in that documentation as soon as its available as well.

Rob
My personal experience with bbPress is nothing I really want to write about, from the manual installation perspective, so I'm happy it has been turned into a plugin. I've found that on its own, I did not particularly like it, but paired with BuddyPress, it isn't half bad. There are more limits than options, in my own humble opinion. Installation was simple, requiring minimal changes, but still requiring some need, depending on whether you have or use BuddyPress. The integration was easy with both WordPress and PlatformPro. The information on installing the plugin are here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/installation/

freegod725
bbPress 2 plugin is just out of beta, any plan to update the platformpro forum theme?

Rob
Yes, there are plans. It seems to work actually pretty well, but adds some interesting CSS styling changes.

jdehaan
Any idea of when this may be released? I cannot get the standalone theme to work that you released (it disables the Admin for the forums, they 404 as soon as I deep integrate).

catrina
I'm not exactly sure when the new PlatformPro forum theme will be released but perhaps another moderator can chime in. :)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

ns32
In lieu of a forum theme, can someone help me with these two formatting problems that arise when I try to combine the current bbpress plugin (2.0) with the current platform pro theme using the default bbpress template? 1. For password-protected topics, the formatting gets funny. Here's a sandbox that demonstrates it: http://networkednegotiation.com/wp/_/topic/test-of-private-topic/ Note how the form content is appended to the breadcrumb. I don't know where or how to change this in the php so that there's a paragraph break between them. 2. For the index of forums, the formatting is off too: http://networkednegotiation.com/wp/_/ Note how the # of topics, threads, and freshness isn't displayed correctly. Any ideas?

ns32
I still haven't fixed issue #2, but in case anyone else was having issue #1, I fixed it by adding a line break to the file "form-protected.php" and also changing the CSS of #bbp-protected to position:absolute.

kastelic
The problem arises from platform styling tables to have centered text in td's. This should override that for the bbp columns you mentioned. [code] .bbp-topic-title, .bbp-topic-freshness { text-align:left !important; } [/code]

ns32
@kastelic??” Thanks, but that did not work for me. To be clear, I am still talking about issue number two, shown on the sandbox page here: http://networkednegotiation.com/wp/_/ When I examine the page elements there with a tool like firebug, I see that they are being output as one whole paragraph instead of separate td elements of a table like they should be. The thread count, topic freshness, and topic title are all mashed together by the PHP. This suggests, I think, that perhaps revised CSS styling is not the answer. I think the issue lies in the fact that Pagelines has not provided a guide for amending the theme's functions.php file to accommodate this important plugin. Does that seem accurate? What do you think?

Rob
bbPress requires considerable reading of the settings to ensure there's no other conflicts. The reason I asked about Buddypress is that despite the two being created by the same developers, they conflict with each other. While CSS can help and is essential, the primary question will be the actual settings for bbPress. Additionally, once you have Buddypress installed, it's critical to let that, not bbPress control your forums. In other words, forum topics and discussions should take place in Buddypress and will be written from there to bbPress. Meanwhile, I looked for the registration which isn't there. I was going to test the system to see how topics are opened on your setup. Is there a specific link?

ns32
@rangealone??” I'm not using Buddypress. Here's a link to a sandbox I'm working with: http://networkednegotiation.com/wp/_/

Rob
Up at the top of this screen (scroll to the top) you have the ability to send me a Private Message via the Inbox. Please send me a link to register as on the link you just provided, there doesn't appear to be any.