Sign in to follow this  
slingr

Post Navigation on both top and bottom of posts

slingr

In another thread that has been ANSWERED, kastelic offered this advice to my question about how to display Post Navigation (previous and next posts) on both the top and bottom of the post: Another way would be to duplicate that element using javascript and making it appear on the bottom of the page. For example, paste this in Custom Code -> Footerscripts:

That worked for me with one site. But there's something going on when I try to save this script on my ndividuate.com/wp/ installation. It won't save. I've tried it on two computers (Mac and PC) and three different browsers (FF, Chrome, IE), last night, this morning, after a shutdown and restart. This morning I opened my WP Dashboard, went to the PP Settings | Custom Code screen, did nothing to change it and hit SAVE OPTIONS. It saved within a couple of seconds. Then I pasted the jquery script into the Footerscripts & Analytics box, tried to save options, and after 7 minutes it was still trying to save. Any ideas on what could be a conflict or error to explain why it won't save? (BTW, another example of how this Forum application sucks ... I can't add "post navigation" as a tag without it creating two different tags. Really?)

Rob
Did you add the javascript to the header and apply a calling tag to the bottom of a post or footer?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

slingr
No, I just pasted the code provided in the Footerscript as suggested by kastelic. As I said this worked fine on one site, but it's apparently causing a hangup on another.

Rob
Slingr, Can you provide a link to your site and tell me exactly where you pasted the code. Sorry, but I can't tell from this where you may be running into difficulty.

slingr
The site is www.ndividuate.com. I don't have access to FTP at the moment to be able to upload a screenshot. But if you're familiar with Platform Pro, the Custom Code section, the Footerscripts Code or Analytics box ... that's where I'm trying to past the script code. As I said, it worked on another site that's hosted on the same server. But for some reason, this one is hanging up when I try to save it.

kastelic
Does the site run really slow too? I would call your hosting tech support and see if they have any answers for you, it sounds like a hosting/server issue.

slingr
I've talked to my host provider tech support. They're investigating. The thing is, as I indicated, nothing else about the site is abnormal in terms of speed or sluggishness with WP, no other problems saving changes. I deactivated my Google Analytics since it might affect the footer but it didn't change anything. I'll wait till I hear back from tech support.

mstmarie1
Are you able to browse your site files via FTP and check the file security? It's possible the file that Pro updates had it's settings changed to read-only. I couldn't explain how this would happen, but I have personally experienced save issues due to the file permissions "spontaneously" changing.

slingr
Okay, after an hour with my excellent tech support person (shoutout: WebSiteSource) the problem was a mod security setting. I don't understand the details, other than she said that WSS as a security measure prohibits certain kinds (or all kinds) of script hacks. She modifed my php.ini and .htaccess files to allow the script to be written. I pasted the code kastelic provided into the Footerscripts box, it saved, and I checked ... now I've got Post Nav at both the top and bottom of posts. As to why this domain had the problem and my other domain didn't ... that's a mystery. I can't vouch for the truth of this, but the tech support person said these kinds of hacks represent a security risk. She suggested after I was through with development I should consider editing the .htaccess and php.ini files back to their original state to prohibit these kinds of hacks. Thanks.

Rob
Slingr, I'm happy you were able to resolve this problem that was evidently not a PlatformPro problem. Respectfully, I must point out that rejecting the answers doesn't serve to keep the discussion open, it just says that the answer provided did not work. Leaving the ticket without any acceptance does nothing to help achieve a timely response and like everyone else, you get timely replies in these forums. Candidly, I've been in plenty of software or theme forums in the past and this is second to none in its timeliness of response and efforts to help people, even when their problems are well outside the scope of the product. When we have very specific circumstances that may be causing a problem, we're going to go out of our way to help. Not only do our moderators help, but other members help in these forums quite frequently. That said, I can assure you that Kastelic was right on target with his analysis that this was a server issue. Often... in absolutely any support forum, it is often a process of elimination to find a solution.