Sign in to follow this  
egglabmedia

Cookies

egglabmedia

Hi, I'm currently working on a site and the client has asked for a line in the privacy policy about the cookies that are used in the site. It's a very simple site, the only user interaction is via a contact form, all comment forms/logins are disabled. Does Platform pro/wordpress use any cookies that we should be aware of / is there a standard line about the cookies used I can enter into the privacy policy page? Many thanks!

Danny
I don' think but I'm not 100% that Platform or Wordpress use any cookies you should be aware of but I did find it this on a few sites privacy policy who were powered by Wordpress. Cookies Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer??™s hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. ******* cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or e-mail address is. The ???help??? portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies. We recommend that you leave the cookies activated because cookies allow you to use some of *******??™s coolest features.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob
Individual plugins may add cookies to your site. An example might be seen at http://www.epicurus.com/ where you'll see a bit down on the page, a poll. There's a cookie set to prevent visitors from voting more than once. The key, as Danny's text points out, is that your cookies are not collecting and distributing personal information. If you are using a contact form, that actually does collect such information, but is solely used for your client's purposes and presumably not sold or distributed. Best to look over EVERY plugin and check to see what they do. Write each author and ask.. then formulate your own custom cookie policy. There are thousands out there that can provide you, as Danny is trying to do, with a standard template.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

egglabmedia
Thanks for all you help, really helpful both of you!