Sign in to follow this  
geographyblog

how can I use a WP featured image as the background image for feature slider

geographyblog

Is it possible to allow for a featured image in a post to appear as the background image in the feature slideshow I have set up on my homepage. http://www.geographyblog.eu Thank you

Rob
Hi, The featured image is always cropped by Wordpress to a square shape, and resized to a smaller one, usually no larger than 150px x 150px. Thus the actual featured image is not really a viable way to add images dynamically to featured sliders. However, if you have an image large enough to fit the size of your feature slider embedded into your posts (not pages), you can go to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Feature Settings and scroll down till you find the [b]Feature Post Source[/b] option. There, you can select "Use Post Category" and in the next section, you may select the appropriate category for your slider source. In your case, you might have one called "Maps" in which your posts contain a map for each. Those images will become sliders dynamically. However, the slider doesn't have, to the best of my knowledge, the ability to dynamically add titles or descriptive text or links at this time. It's for this reason few people use this option.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

geographyblog
I am currently using the "Use Post Category" option and I think that a featured image is not that small as previous themes I have used display them at their full resolution. In a similar feature. Also is there a way to limit the number of words in the excerpt without using the more tag. Thanks

kastelic
Hi, there is a simple filter to apply. It is explained here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_excerpt#Control_Excerpt_Length_using_Filters You must have platformbase enabled as this will go into platformbase/functions.php

geographyblog
Thanks that worked but it has limited the length of all posts displayed on the posts page, I just wanted it through the feature , have you any ideas on my original query.