Sign in to follow this  
brandongaudin

sidebar content and nav menu alterations

brandongaudin

1) I want my sidebar to have different content/widgets on different pages of my site (brandongaudin.com). I can't figure this out. Anyone know? 2) What's the code for altering the background AND text color of the CURRENT PAGE (in the nav menu) the visitor is on? I've tried various things in firebug but can't find the right code.

christossemertzidis
I want the same! :-) (cobrabet.gr)

Kate
Hey Guys, 1) This is the plugin you can use for the widgets: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/ 2) You can use code similar to this: [code].current_page_item{color:#ffffff !important;background:#404040 !important;}[/code]

brandongaudin
Thx Kate 1) I was hesitant to use "Widget-Logic" because it hasn't been updated 3/10. I installed the "Dynamic Widgets" plug-in instead because it was recently updated and had a good rating. It visually is working correctly, however, when I click on the Twitter widget in the dashboard, I see a bunch of errors like this: Warning: Illegal offset type in /home1/brandoq5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/twitter-for-wordpress/twitter.php on line 207 Which I'm guessing is due to the "Dynamic Widgets" plug-in??? Was there a reason you suggested "Widget Logic" instead? 2) I had already tried this but it did not work. Other ideas? 3) I have a bunch of changes in my "Custom Code" section of platform pro...and it's getting confusing what changes are what. Can I type in explanations of each change as a note to myself or will this mess things up? For instance, for ".widget ul.twitter .twitter-item { color: #000000; }" could I type next to it "This alters the color of the twitter widget text color"??

Rob
Widget Logic has proven itself to work in the current versions of WP and PlatformPro and Base with little or no difficulty. That's probably why Kate suggested it. You should be able to use a // in front of each line but put the instructions ABOVE, not next to, each grouping of CSS.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

brandongaudin
Ok, I'm using Widget Logic. 1) Do I need to use any other characters or should it look like this below? //This alters color of Twitter widget text .widget ul.twitter .twitter-item { color: #000000; } 2) What's the code for altering the background AND text color of the CURRENT PAGE (in the nav menu) the visitor is on? I've tried various things in firebug but can't find the right tag.

Rob
Usually, the menu colors are selected through the Dashboard > PlatformPro > Design Control. Only rarely would CSS be needed for the nav menu. However you may find the answer here... http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/13264/pagelines-nav-bar-text-color-wont-change/p1

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

brandongaudin
Catrina....I've figured out how to change the text and background color of the current page nav menu tab. I used this code: .main-nav li.current-page-ancestor a, .main-nav li.current_page_item a, .main-nav li.current-page-ancestor ul a, .main-nav li.current_page_item ul a { background-color: #333333; color: #FFFFFF; } BUT what is a page ancestor? I just want to make sure I'm not changing something else on my site that I'm not aware of. This code works from what I can see, but is it ok to use for what I want?

catrina
The page ancestor should be the parent page. If it's okay from what you can see, then it should be working fine.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

brandongaudin
Oh ok. That being the case, I removed the ancestor tags. Still works. Final question... In this code... .main-nav li.current_page_item a, .main-nav li.current_page_item ul a { background-color: #333333; color: #ffffff; } what is the difference between ".main-nav li.current_page_item a" and "main-nav li.current_page_item ul a" ???

catrina
[b]main-nav li.current_page_item ul a[/b] is a more specific selector than [b].main-nav li.current_page_item a[/b] because it includes the ul property (this identifies the item as being apart of a list). You can remove one of them since having both seems superfluous.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

brandongaudin
Perfect. Thank you and goodnight. Thread closed.