Sign in to follow this  
garethdaine

Adding an Additional Core Sidebar...

garethdaine

Hi Guys, Under 'Template Setup' where it says 'Select Template Area', you'll notice it has 2 core sidebars 'Sidebar 1' and 'Sidebar 2'. What I want to do is add to this list with a 'Sidebar 3', so essentially I'll have access to 3 different sidebars to use in custom sections and page templates. Any ideas on how to do this folks? Cheers. Gareth

Rob
Gareth, despite that you have the ability to have 3 sidebars now. One above or below the other 2. I fear 3 will really narrow down your content area because each sidebar has padding. By default, Platform is set to allow a universal or other sidebar to be above the other two. In Template Setup, select the last drop down option - Sidebar Wrap. Select either Tertiary, Base or Universal, drag it over to the left (a blank dash-bordered box) and once there, save. Now go to Sidebar Options (in PlatformPro Settings) and select whether you want the Sidebar Wrap above or below your sidebars. Go to Appearances > Widgets and add widgets to the sidebar option you selected (Tertiary, Base or Universal). View your website in another browser or refresh your current view. You will now have 3 sidebars, one above or below and two as normal.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

garethdaine
Hi, Thanks for the reply but you're missing thepoint of what I'm trying to achive. I won't be having 3 sidebars on each page, on the contrary I will be having 1 on each page, just that each sidebar will be different. 1 for the store, 1 for community pages and 1 for the blog. So I need to know how to add an additional core sidebar to PlatformPro. Can anyone help?

Kate
Hey Gareth, Please check out this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/

audioel
Kate & other moderators - I have the same question. I'm well aware of the widget logic plugin, but it gets difficult to manage a large quantity of widgets in the same sidebar. You guys are missing the point of Gareth's question. One well known and supported wordpress theme technique is to create multiple sidebars, but only use them on specific page templates. So in the admin, I can have one called "blog", one called "pages", one called "community" etc. Then you only add the specific widgets you need to those particular ones. Using widget logic sometimes requires you to end up with 4 or 5 copies of a widget, each with different settings. It's MUCH easier to create additional sidebars. So how can I add an additional wordpress sidebar to the feature page that I can drag in?

Danny
I understand what you're saying, I'll bump this for a developer to have a look, as it goes beyond my knowledge.

Please search our forums, before posting!

audioel
I've partially answered my question on my own - I can create additional sidebars in functions.php (standard wordpress way), but I'm not clear on how to get them to show up as draggable elements in the template editor.

kastelic
To get it to be a drag-and-drop element you need to make it into a section (see http://www.pagelines.com/docs/custom-sections under Adding New Sections) Follow the tuturial, all you need to do is change the names in a few places in the sample section file, and register it in functions.php. You can put anything you want in your "section' including the registering of as many widget areas (sidebars) as you'd like.