Sign in to follow this  
antonella

How to update platform pro?

antonella

Hello, I was about to launch my first site with Pagelines when I noticed the new update to 1.5.3. So I figured I'd upgrade before I launched. Since I have platformbase set up as my theme, I renamed the platformpro file in my ftp directory and uploaded the new one as platform pro. First I realized that I was using the Custom CSS in the platformpro dashboard, thinking that this would be saved in platform base. Turns out it is saved in the dynamic css of the platformpro folder! Lucky I had a backup or two months of work would have been lost. This just wasn't clear to me. Then I realized that all the settings I had saved in platform pro were gone (colors, fonts, etc.). So how does this work when I upload a new platformpro theme? Do I have to write down all my settings and then re-enter them each time I update?? I noticed something about auto-updates under misc-settings. How does that work exactly? If I add my login info to launchpad, does that update the theme automatically? Will I lose my settings? Any insight would be helpful! Thanks.

kastelic
Here are the step-by-step instructions for updating: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/upgrading When updated correctly there is no reason you should lose any settings including your custom CSS. Your custom CSS is not stored in dynamic.css it is stored in the database along with all your other settings. Its called dynamic.css because its created dynamically every time the settings are saved. But its created using settings from the database. When you switch themes or upgrade your theme the database settings remain intact. If you read the instructions you will see that there is an extra step at the end: Important Step: Remember to head into your theme settings and hit the ???save options??? button; this will regenerate your custom CSS file based on your settings.

Danny
When an update is available you get the yellow info box saying an update is available. Well with your details added to the auto update, you also get update now link added to that info box as well. If you click the update now link, you can update your Pagelines theme as if it was a plugin, which is very cool. I have this feature enabled and have updated my theme twice since using this feature, now although I always keep a back up of my custom css, whenever I have updated my theme, my custom css and settings (color ect...) is always intact, I just needed to clear my browsers cache. So no you should'nt lose any of your settings or custom css, but I would suggest to keep a daily or weekly back up of all your custom code and files just in case. I also do a weekly back up of my theme settings too. Just to be on the safe side.

Please search our forums, before posting!

antonella
Thanks for the info. Dannyh - how do you do a backup of the theme settings? I use the WP DB Backup plugin to do an automatic backup of the site contents, but not sure in includes the theme settings. thanks.

antonella
I figured out how to save the theme settings (in the misc settings tab). However, I'm still confused about how the theme updates. I added my correct launchpad login to misc settings. The yellow update bar went away. However, when I looked at my theme selection, I see that version 1.5.3 is called platformpro-new and the old version is still there as platformpro. What other steps do I have to take to update the theme (I have platformbase as my main theme). thanks.