Sign in to follow this  
slingr

Pagination doesn't appear on PP post pages

slingr

Using Platform Pro with WP-PageNavi on two different sites. On the Single Post Content Area template I have Post Navigation set at the top and Pagination set at the bottom. The Post Navigation shows correctly but the Pagination doesn't appear on either site. I've tried deactivating WP-PageNavi with no effect. I would've thought that Pagination would appear by default as it does in WhiteHousePro. What other settings play in to whether or not Pagination appears?

slingr
Nope. I mentioned this is a problem on two different sites ... one I'm working on now, and one I haven't touched in a month but never noticed the pagination was missing because I don't have that many posts. The previous site was created with PP 1.5.2, current one is using PP 1.5.3.

kastelic
For paginating single posts have you tried using the quicktag? http://codex.wordpress.org/Write_Post_SubPanel#Quicktags

slingr
No I haven't. Why should I have to add anything to paginate posts when the PP Settings Welcome screen says that PP is "pre-configured" to work with Wp-PageNavi? Am I wrong to expect the pagination to be there by default, when I have Wp-PageNavi installed and activated, and I have the Pagination function dragged-and-dropped into the Single Post Page template?

slingr
Catrina, here's a post in my in-progress site: http://ndividuate.com/wp/2011/settings/ .This is a tutorial for how to setup Wordpress for beginners. In my PP Template Setup | Single Post Content Area, I have these sections placed in the left column: Post Navigation Main Content Pagination Content Sharing Tool Comment Form In trying to troubleshoot this, the only thing I can think of is that "Pagination" means something different here than it does when I display post excerpts by Category. Maybe in the context of a single post, "Pagination" only applies if you've split a long post. When I display the posts by Category, the WP-PageNavi does show correctly. So now I guess I need to ask a similar but different question: is there a way to show the POST NAVIGATION at both the top and the bottom of a single post, rather than one or the other? Thanks.

Rob
I think the problem may simply happen from having Pagination on two conflicting templates. If you look at the first two templates in Template Setup, you'll see that Pagination is only applied to one. It's also in the Single Posts Content Area. I think that if you removed it from one, then applied it above on the one where it doesn't appear, you might get the desired result... Mind you, this is just a guess.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

slingr
I don't know what you mean by two "conflicting templates" ... how are templates conflicting if they're templating different things? This is where nomenclature gets in the way. To be specific, on the PP Template Setup screen, in the dropdown menu box, each of the three templates listed under "Text Content Area" (Post Content Area, Posts Page Content Area, Single Post Content Area) have the Pagination section enabled. Which of these are you suggesting are in conflict?

kastelic
[quote]is there a way to show the POST NAVIGATION at both the top and the bottom of a single post, rather than one or the other? [/quote] No, not by default. One way would be to create a new section by copying section.postnav.php and changing the name and appropriate class names etc. inside the file. Read under Custom Child Sections on http://www.pagelines.com/docs/custom-sections Another way would be to duplicate that element using javascript and making it appear on the bottom of the page. For example, paste this in Custom Code -> Footerscripts: [code] [/code]

slingr
I tried the Footerscripts script and it works on one of my sites. The other one is hanging up for some reason when it tries to Save. I'll try it again in the morning. I'll consider this closed, but it would be nice if someone could explain what "Pagination" means on a single post page, and why it's a section that can be included on templates where it apparently doesn't do anything. Thanks.

slingr
Well, upon further review ... there's something going on when I try to save this script on my ndividuate.com/wp/ installation. It won't save. I've tried it on two computers (Mac and PC) and three different browsers (FF, Chrome, IE), last night, this morning, after a shutdown and restart. This morning I opened my WP Dashboard, went to the PP Settings | Custom Code screen, did nothing to change it and hit SAVE OPTIONS. It saved within a couple of seconds. Then I pasted the jquery script into the Footerscripts & Analytics box, tried to save options, and after 7 minutes it's still trying to save. Any ideas on what could be a conflict or error? (Do I need to start a new thread since this one can't be unanswered?)