Sign in to follow this  
ianrob84

Dynamic site background images...

ianrob84

So, I currently have a background image which is static across the entire site. However, I want to get a bit more savvy and have a dynamic image which changes, depending on the weather, as discussed here: http://css-tricks.com/534-using-weather-data-to-change-your-websites-apperance-through-php-and-css/ However, I'm having trouble working out how this integrates with PlatformPro? The PHP class and CSS entries etc... Could someone who is perhaps a bit tech savvy, had a read through the link and see if you can work out how I would integrate this idea into my site? Many thanks! Ian

Rob
Ian, Do you have banner ads in your header or on your site? A change of backgrounds will cause most ad programs to slow down ad placement until advertisers can re-select your site as many do so on the basis of background color. Surprisingly, this is not dynamic, as one might think. This could be implemented, with the PHP added via hook in functions.php; the div applied to a template (not sure which) and the CSS in Custom Code / CSS Rules. I suspect however, that since it requires your visitors browser to look outside your site to find out what the weather is before loading the header, it will greatly slow down the load time, causing many browsers to time out before your site loads. I believe sincerely, it will cause you to lose visitors. I say this because once, several years ago, I used a similar concept, of changing the background monthly to focus on holidays that month or seasonal colors. My AdSense revenue plummeted, and visitors dropped by more than 60% in the first week.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ianrob84
Hey, Thanks for the response! I actually have no banner ads, nor use adsense - my site is actually used as an internal intranet, (hence why I haven't provided a link)... So, I'm not too worried about anything like that, I was just interested to know how I would integrate with PlatformPro... But I appreciate your help!

ianrob84
So, if I decided to press on with this, could anyone give the lo-down on how to implement? PHP hooks sound a bit difficult to me..! lol (As in, I have no idea what I'm doing...)

Kate
Hey Ian, If you're not comfortable with PHP, a customization like that will be a bit difficult ;) It may be best to contact on eof the "Pros" to take care of that.