Sign in to follow this  
garethdaine

bbPress.org Download or bbPress Plugin?

garethdaine

Hi Folks, I have the bbPress forum software downloaded from bbpress.org but have come across the bbPress WordPress plugin located in the depository. What's the difference between the two, and are they both integratable with PlatformPro and BuddyPress? The plugin seems like a much more elegant solution. Thanks in advance. Gareth

Rob
they are the same thing, except that with bbPress, you have to manually move directories via FTP anyway. Please see the following... http://www.pagelines.com/docs/bbpress-forums

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

garethdaine
Hi, Thanks for your reply, though it hasn't answered my question. I realise they are both bbPress, what I was asking though was: 1. What is the major differences between the two options? and 2. Are they BOTH intergratable with PlatformPro? For example if I simply install the bbPress plugin, how do I go about integration and deep integration, with BuddyPress also. There is no way to point to bb-config.php with the plugin installed as it uses wp-config. What's the solution? Thanks Gareth

catrina
The bbPress plugin allows you to install a matching forum that goes with PlatformPro (it's only available for the Developer edition, however). The bbPress download from the website uses the default Twenty One WordPress theme look and feel.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

garethdaine
Hi, When I say the bbPress plugin, I mean the actual WordPress plugin that's recently been released, that basically integrates bbPress in to WordPress via a plugin.

garethdaine
No, this one bbPress 2.0 RC4 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/ With BuddyPress 1.5 RC1 http://buddypress.org/2011/09/buddypress-1-5-release-candidate-1-and-buddypress-1-2-10/

catrina
Hm, I don't know much about the differences between the bbPress plugin that was recently released and getting the download directly from bbPress rather than WordPress. I think it's for the convenience and ease of use.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jdehaan
One version is a standalone install, and one version is a plugin. As far as I can tell, PlatformPro files and deep integration is for the standalone version... except for me following the steps will "kill" (disable, 404) the Admin for the forums... which is essential. The default look of Pagelines with the bbPress plugin for wordpress is very unattractive, and every new forum topic looks like a regular Page format, which does not work for a forum at all. I am having no luck in figuring out how to make this work at all. Having a heckuva time getting it to work for either version of bbPress - wasted days on this so far. Very frustrating, and now wishing I went with a different theme.

jdehaan
(And btw, I am also using BuddyPress, and PlatformPro Dev edition)

Danny
Hi, Would it be possible for you to post a link to your site please ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob
The plugin is identical to the standalone, however, it simplifies the installation and makes upgrades much easier. It is the recommended method of installation these days. Sorry. Our instructions in Docs are outdated. The problems will stem from settings and previous installations you may have which hold settings in the databases.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur