Sign in to follow this  
jsgreenbaum

Getting pictures into the carousel

jsgreenbaum

How do I get pictures into my carousel? The FlickrRss plug in crashed my site, I can't get NextGen Galleries to give me thumbnails and the default/posts category isn't pulling up any pictures. What am I missing?? Thanks for the help!

Rob
May we have a link to your site? Do you have thumbnails set for each post?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jsgreenbaum
My site is gracekirkwood.org/newsite. I have pictures on many of my posts... do I have to do something other than inserting them on my posts page to be a "thumbnail"?

Rob
In Wordpress (not a Platform function) when you add a post, on the right side, you should see something that says "featured image". When you click that, it gives you the option to add an image as a thumbnail. These should be square as Wordpress will compress the image (not crop it) to fit a square space. Use any size, but remember your page load. It's best to use between 250x250px and 500x500px. Simply update or save your post. Thumbnails are not functional on pages. You can get a plugin for that. The carousel picks up the thumbnails in default mode. NextGen doesn't give you thumbnails... you give it thumbnails and it gives you a gallery.

jsgreenbaum
Okay.. I think I understand what you're saying about the Wordpress thumbnails. I'll try that. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but does that mean that the pictures in the carousel will only stay little like that? (you can't click on them to get bigger?) In NextGen... I downloaded pictures into a gallery, but it's not showing any thumbnails under "manage gallery), and when I go to "edit thumb" on the individual pictures, it gives me an error code. Thanks so much for your help... I really appreciate it!

Rob
You can adjust the picture sizes in the carousel by CSS if using the default mode. I'm not sure about NextGen or Flickr modes. Unfortunately, I don't know NextGen very well personally.

jsgreenbaum
Thanks so much for your help... while I have you in conversation.... I'm also trying to figure out how to change the background color of my main navigation bar. When I enabled my drop-down menu, my nav bar went to the same color as my page background. I'm wondering if there is a line I could insert into my custom css box on the admin page to change it to a different color???

Rob
[code]#primary-nav .main-nav li a, #primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover {color: #ffffff; background-color: #XXXXXX;}[/code] change the #ffffff to whatever color you want to have on hover and XXXXXX to the background color you wish.

jsgreenbaum
Thank you! That changed my navigation bar background color, but my hover color remains the same as the background. And now I can't change the text color in the nav bar. Any suggestions?

Jenny
Did you change the color and background-color to the colors you want? For the NextGEN gallery, I assume you uploaded the images to a new gallery? What file size are the images? The reason I ask is because NextGEN will not upload the images if the files are too large (or if your server only allows uploads of a certain size). If all of your images are showing correctly, you should see the thumbnails when you manage the gallery. The thumbnails are automatically created by NextGEN. If you have a listing of images with no thumbnails, you can try selecting the checkbox next to one image and then selecting "create new thumbnails" from the dropdown box and click "apply." If it doesn't show up, you may have a file size problem (i.e. use smaller file size images).

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jsgreenbaum
Thanks for your thoughts with NextGen. I do have my pictures in a gallery, but it's not showing any thumbnails. I tried creating new thumbnails, but nothing happened. So maybe I need to try a smaller size. I figured out how to do my carousel with pictures from posts, so I think I'm not going to use NextGen.

jsgreenbaum
I was able to change the background color on my nav bar, but the hover color won't change... it's the same color as the background. Any thoughts??

Jenny
I know lots of people love NextGEN but it is very tricky to get it to work how you want. Not to mention the plugin author seems pretty rude (i.e. he has lots of options on his author page but none of them work. When you ask him about it, he says I'll get to it when I get to it :() You definitely don't need to use it for carousel images so if you can do what you want without NextGEN, that sounds like the best route for you. Regarding the hover color, remove this from your custom CSS: [code]#primary-nav .main-nav li a, #primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover { background-color: #4B5775; color: #F5F3E9; }[/code] And replace it with this: [code]#primary-nav .main-nav li a { background-color: #4B5775; color: #F5F3E9; } #primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover { background-color: #000000; color: #F5F3E9; }[/code] Change the second background-color to whatever you want. The reason it was the same is because the two items were grouped together producing the same result.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jsgreenbaum
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I can't tell you how long I've been trying to get this right. You're an angel!

nicoleisthenewblack
Hey, i'm looking for carousel netgen help. i have been searching the forums and this seemed like a good place to ask these questions. 1) if you suggest not using nextgen is there a way for me to get rectangular thumbnails into the carousel using my post thumbnail? i am having frustrations because i used nextgen to get the shape i want but i cant seem to get their hack to link it back to post to work. 2) im also having some issue with the load. when i go to my page the entire gallery loads and then the carousel begins, this is not pretty especially since its on the front page. anyway to fix that? i saw something online about ajax loading control but that is way above head. i will open a new topic if you think that would be best site is nicoleisthenewblack.com thanks