Sign in to follow this  
christycollins

Adding a Link in a TEXT WIDGET

christycollins

I would like to put a link in a text widget to my youtube channel. My youtube address would be youtube.com/collinscattle I am uncertain of the code that makes that link active. I am aware that I can add a link to a web page or insert an image by using a text widget, Im just having trouble getting it to work.

jennajonesdesign
I think the easiest thing would be to go through the process of inserting the link into a page. The Wordpress will write the code for you. Just switch to HTML view, copy that code and paste it into your text widget. I am sure there is also an easy to use YouTube widget out there.

Rob
Christy, where exactly is this youtube link to go? Sidebar, main content? Footer? Header? Is it simply a text link to youtube.com/collinscattle or an actual video? If a video, how big will it be? Some videos don't resize well to fit into sidebars and are best viewed inside the main content area. Let me know and I'll try to help you place this properly.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

christycollins
http://www.youtube.com/user/collinscattle I put the above code in the widget. When I refresh and look at the page it just puts a link to this under the widget name. I want the widget "name" to just link to this. Here is a link to what I am seeing.... http://www.collins-cattle.com/new/

christycollins
I need my widget link to go to my channel page. I have read about adding links to and embedding photos on widgets but I must be getting the code a little off.

Rob
You created a successful link! Look at the positive. Now, try replacing that (presuming your sidebar is at least 326 pixels wide to this... again, in a text widget: [code][/code]

Rob
If this works... send me some organic beef, no antibiotics.. Please!

christycollins
Im sorry, Im not explaining myself. However your last answer was a good idea and Ive kept a note on it. BUT what I need to do is to be able to click on my widget entitled "CURRENT VIDEOS" and that click take me to my youtube channel's page. We love good organic foods to. It's all healthy and safe! Thanks so much for your help

Rob
I was only joking about sending me beef. Anyway... you want to create a link to your Current videos... Hmmmm. When you created that link correctly, the only thing you messed up on was the label part of the link. Instead of repeating the URL ... http;//www..... between the < a href > and < / a> tags, you should type in some descriptive text... Like... for this video youtube.com/watch?v=9_fXqfQGRp0 the description should be something like "17 Monopoly x Cigar" or "Black Cattle No.17".

christycollins
Is this the correct code to turn a widget to a link to the page for www.collins-cattle.com

Rob
Christy, You don't really turn a widget to a link. You can add a link in a text widget. The link above will link to your website but lacks the text to be linked. It would vanish without one. The correct link to your site would be [code]CollinsCattle[/code] which just brings someone right back to your site. For a search of all collinscattle youtube videos, you can try [code]Our Youtube Videos[/code] Try these in a text widget as you have the previous link we discussed.

christycollins
OK one more time... Here is the code that I put into the text field in the widget. This code is to direct it to another PAGE within this site. SALE SCHEDULE It goes to a page not found??? Thanks for your help. Im about to get it, sorry for all the 101 questions.

Rob
You missed the http:// before the www. and you added some extraneous code. Try this. [code]SALE SCHEDULE [/code]

Rob
Don't worry about the 101 questions. But I'm going to have my dinner soon. I'll be on again Tuesday. Catrina will be here in the morning and she's fantastic.. All our team are.

christycollins
Thanks so much. I'll probably need to ask more down the road. Great Help!!

Rob
Christy, I hate to sound like the evil bearer of bad tidings, but in your menu, you have three bad links... First... Video Previews is taking visitors to an HTML page outside the Platform. Same with About. Lastly, you're structuring signing up for the mailing list as a mailto, which opens your visitor's email client (Outlook etc). The problem with the latter is that people don't know what to do when the email opens, and they're likely to not only fail to send something, but likely they'll get turned off to the site entirely. There are newsletter scripts if your newsletter is by email, or if you're sending a print newsletter, you might just want to use a simple form to collect people's mailing addresses. For that, a contact form is need, but it must have a validator associated with it... a.) to prevent spam using the CAPTCHA method... in more plain English, those little odd looking letters or numbers you have to type in before submitting; and b.) validating that the email address actually exists. Spammers will often flood-fill a form with thousands of submissions with fake email addresses. You want to avoid that as it could crash your server. The right form can prevent these problems. We actually recommend one, found on the Welcome tab when you open the PlatformPro Settings. Personally, I use FastSecureForm and its associated CAPTCHA plugin. See my form in action here. http://www.epicurus.com/contact-us

christycollins
I appreciate this. Im working on correcting it. If you don't mind check on my home page Monday to see how Im doing. On the Youtube thing... I wish I could just get it to open up in another page, because I like the way people can find the videos easily. Thanks

Jenny
Regarding the YouTube link, I believe what you're saying is that you want the link to open up in a new browser window instead of opening in the same window. To do that, just use the following for your YouTube text widget code: [code]VIDEO PREVIEWS[/code] The target="_blank" tells the link to open it in a new browser window.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.