Sign in to follow this  
thomstark

Box Links as Thickbox Links?

thomstark

This may not be possible, but hopefully someone can help me approximate what I want to do. What I want to do is make the links in my boxes here ( http://www.notetoselfmovie.com ) open up a thickbox rather than go to a new page. I have the thickbox plugin running on another site (click on one of the books, here: http://religionatthemargins.com/our-books/), but the way that works is through a shortcode in the page, followed by all the details inside each thickbox. What I want is when someone clicks on one of the post-it icons (i.e., "About the Film") it opens up a thickbox rather than a new page. Any idea how I could swing this? I suppose the obvious way would be to remove the boxes from the header and put the icons in manually in the content section. Is there a simpler way, or a plugin that integrates boxes with a thickbox type effect? Thanks for your time in advance.

Jenny
Perhaps this may help: http://ajaxian.com/archives/thickbox-lightboxes-with-any-html

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

thomstark
Thanks for pointing to that article. I appreciated reading it. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the question I have (unless I missed something which is entirely plausible).

Jenny
Click on the link that says "plain text" under "Simple Usage". Hopefully that html code will accomplish what you're wanting. :) Another article i read mentioned something about Lightbox2 having that functionality as well. Have you tried that one? And finally, as a last resort option, you could always type use an image instead of text (just typing the text in and saving as an image) and then it'll work for sure. Of course editing would be annoying, but it would work.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

thomstark
Right. Yeah. I saw that, but my point is that in the boxes page there isn't a way to adjust the "a" tag itself, you can only specify the url to which it links. I guess I'm trying to find a way to override the boxes default "a href" tag with the thickbox specifications.

thomstark
I just went ahead and recreated the box effect using hooks so I can control the "a" tag. I was hoping there might be an integrative solution between the Boxes functionality and Thickbox (or something like it), but that's doubtful. Thanks for your help!

Rob
Thom, as flexible as PlatformPro is, sometimes there are limits, largely caused by people who are more creative than systems allow. Face it. You're an innovator! This is a great idea for the future though and I'll have one of the developers look into it for a next edition if possible. Boxes are a custom post type, as you know. and so they have some fairly strict confinements to deal with.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

thomstark
Thanks, rangelone. That would definitely be cool if the developers could make something like that swing.

Jenny
I love that he called you an innovator! And PS.. I LOVE what you did. It looks excellent.

thomstark
Thanks a lot, mama. That's rewarding to hear. Now if I could just figure out how to remove the content area so there's not that white space. I've tried hiding it in the "home" page, removing it from the layout, etc. Can't figure it out. I'm sure it's fairly easy!

Jenny
Did you remove it from the "default page" in "template setup"? I assume you're using a custom page for your home page so this should do it for you.

Jenny
You also have the "morefoot" section activated with nothing in it so that is additional space.

thomstark
Yeah it had already been removed from default page in template setup. I'm not sure where I have a morefoot section activated.

Jenny
Did you make a new page and use that for your home page? You'll be able to show/hide much easier if you do. The "morefoot" section is most likely in the footer section in "template setup."

thomstark
I made a new page called "home" and that is the default page. I have everything hidden there except for the branding and the universal sidebar (which is the space where my nav is...don't ask). I had already taken everything out of the "morefoot" section in the template setup, so I can't figure out where the space is coming from.

Jenny
If you'd like to make me a login for your site, I can take a look for you. I have a static homepage on one of my PlatformPro sites so I am pretty familiar with it. If you want to do this, feel free to send it via email to jenny(at)simplemama.com

thomstark
You're awesome. FTR, the universal sidebar is there to provide space for the nav, even though they are hooked in the functions.php page. I found that when I performed a search, the content overlapped with the nav, so adding the universal sidebar there pushed the content down. Easy fix.

Jenny
I understand. :) I'm using the universal sidebar for my nav too, so no worries! I did send you an email but just in case you didn't get it, I was asking if I could change things (and put them back immediately if they don't work)? Either way is fine but I just wanted to ask.

thomstark
Oh. I didn't get your email. I still don't have it. Please go ahead. But what address did you use?

Jenny
Edit: Disregard my above comment. I decided not to change anything. Ok. I have lots of thoughts here so I'm sorry if they get all jumbled up. I am not sure one way or the other if the fact that you don't have a custom menu is messing with the layout. It is a possibility. Perhaps you could make a menu with no menu items in it and then set it as your primary menu (and save). That may fix the problem. My alternative solution. But first, a question? Do you have any actual pages on your blog that you will link to? If you don't, then adding some custom CSS will work to remove the white space. I messed around with it to get an amount that looks about even with the top of the image Just add: [code]#page, #dynamic-content {min-height: 30px;}[/code] If you DO have other pages, then that won't work. Let me know how it goes. I'll be back on tomorrow night for additional help if you need it. :)

thomstark
Thanks so much!! That's a good temporary fix. For now, there are no actual pages (unless someone performs a search). But there will be a blog eventually, once we being preproduction on the film.

thomstark
Actually it looks like the search still works. It pushes the bottom down. So that's good. I'll try a test blog post and see what happens.

davemoppert
What Plugin are you using for the thickbox? Is it 'Thickbox Content'? I am getting a warning error when trying to accomplish this with my website: http://epicgeniusmedia.com/rooftops (just click 'the flat' graphic to see what I am talking about). Did you encounter this issue as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)