Sign in to follow this  
ciaphuas

add ... to read more tag

ciaphuas

When I insert the read more tag, I want it to add ... to the end of the cutoff sentence

ciaphuas
For example: iSlick is a slickdeals.net aggregator that puts all the information of that site in the power of your hands. It is an effective way to keep up-to-date on all the frontpage deals. The most useful... I want the ... added to the cutoff, it looks strange when the sentence just cuts off without the ...

Jenny
Can you provide a link to your site? The reason I ask is because the excerpts automatically add [...] to the end of the excerpt.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Apologies, but where on your site can we see an example of this cut off ... ? I've looked and don't see anything wrong.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny
Are you automatically inserting a read more tag? You could always just let the post automatically clip the excerpt to the default size and it will automatically add the [...] at the end of the post.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ciaphuas
Ok here is a step by step of how a post is made. I write my post. After about 3 lines I press the 'insert more tag' button When you look at my post,on the homepage, it will show the sentences before the 'insert more tag' These posts also have a link that says 'conttinue reading >>' which is a hyperlink to the rest of the post *Now what I want is when a viewer looks at the homepage, and sees a post where I used the 'insert more tag' I want the last sentence to have a '...' at the end

Jenny
Rather than doing that, you could do what I suggested above which is to have Wordpress dynamically create your read more area. This would add what you're looking for automatically. If you don't want to use that option, then Wordpress has graciously written up a how-to for customizing the read more link. You can read about it at http://codex.wordpress.org/Customizing_the_Read_More. Hope that helps!

ciaphuas
How do you let wordpress dynamically create it? Using excerpts?

Jenny
When I say it dynamically creates it, I mean that Wordpress does it automatically. You just write your post as usual and then Wordpress takes the default excerpt length in the PHP code and makes an excerpt. At the end of the excerpt is a [...] and a continue reading link.