Sign in to follow this  
christycollins

Inserting pictures into a page with text....

christycollins

Ok, very simple question here. I have a series of photos that I need to place into a single page. I need to put cutlines under the picture. I can't figure out a NEAT way of doing this. It wants to put the text around the picture, not underneath. Also is there a link how to add a formatted text (preformatted) to a page?

Rob
May we have a link to the page you're trying to create? Text will wrap around an image by default. However, in a confined space, you can "center" the image, wiping out the wrapping capacity. That would force text below or above, depending on where you placed the image code. Formatted text? Could you be more specific? I add images to my static front page in tables.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

christycollins
http://www.collins-cattle.com/new/2009-and-earlier-champions/ See if this link works. I just hit return several times to get the type below the picture. Im guessing there is a more correct way to do this.

christycollins
On the other subject: How do I make the size of the font smaller. For instance, the paragraph font is too large on that page as a cutline for the picture. So, how do I decrease that font size, or how do I create a new font with a smaller size for the cutlines on this page.

Rob
Christy, don't mind me... but that's a mess. It has dozens of opened and closed address tags and each section with an image is broken up into small pieces that do different things. I'm unsure how you created this, but my honest suggestion is.. don't do that. Alternatively though, I'd suggest you use tables or a plugin called DivUp. The tables will likely give you greater control. Study this.. http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_table.asp Then view the source code for my site.. http://www.epicurus.com where I use lots of tables, some with photos. Admittedly, I don't have text below them, but I could, very easily. If you need offline help with this, send me an inbox message.

christycollins
Thanks, I will look at this. This is the most discouraging thing about wordpress. Its seems so hard to have control of placing pictures on a page. I agree after reloading the page, that's not going to work. I am wondering also if each picture or "champion" should just be a post and not try to put all of them on one page.

Rob
That works if you have no problem with other posts interrupting the list. Even if you have a category for champions, best you'll get is a 150x150 thumbnail to appear on the loop generated list. The table would give you more flexibility.

christycollins
Ok well Im not very proficient at coding. Is the table a plug-in or do I have to add code to an existing file?

Rob
You'd simply add code to a page... It's actually not tough at all.

christycollins
I am looking at the CSS site you sent me to. I will try that. Can I insert a photo into those columns, or can you suggest a direct page on that site that I can use?

christycollins
THANKS SO MUCH I AM GETTING THERE.

Jenny
Keep in mind that two default options will move your text below the image. You can use both "none" and "center". Then you can just enter down a line and start a new paragraph with your text. You can also create adding padding by using the "horizontal margin" attribute in the image editor.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

christycollins
Can you please tell me what a "default option" is?

Jenny
Sorry.. by "default option" I mean an option that's built-in to wordpress. Just Add an image to your post like you normally would and then click one of the alignment radio buttons (i.e. none, left, center, right). When you click, you can see how it will format your text in the preview. Try one and see how it goes. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jennajonesdesign
Yeah - once you have inserted an image you can view the "advanced options"in Wordpress. It will let you add Vertical and/or Horizontal space to your photos.