Sign in to follow this  
gcaptain

Header Space To The Right Of Logo

gcaptain

I am trying to put a facebook iframe to the right of the logo on my blog at gCaptain.com. I have succeeded except that the iframe is not clickable. The problem is it lies inside .branding_wrap regardless of if I use the function pagelines_inside_top_branding or pagelines_before_branding. I found that if I include the following custom CSS then it works: .branding_wrap{position: relative;zoom:1; width: 350px; } but then the social icons are shifted too far right.

bevj
try adding layering code to bring the iframe to the front .(iframe css class/id goes here) { z-index:10; }

gcaptain
I'm not that familiar with CSS but I added it in an inline div and didn't seem to work. Here's the code I used: add_action('pagelines_inside_top_branding','top_facebook'); function top_facebook(){ // This hook adds a sfacebook friends iFrame in the header ?>

bevj
1. to get the facebook to come in front of the branding wrap, add this #branding .branding_wrap { z-index: -1; } to pagelines > custom code > CSS Rules 2. moreover, I highly suggest you lean about CSS, it is alot easier to fine tune than constantly updating the php file each time you want to make a change. also, if you give the iframe a class say "fbkhdr" so it looks like

gcaptain
I thought this issue was resolved, the facebook iframe is now clickable, but now the logo and the social media icons are not. How do I make it so everything in the header is clickable??

Rob
Something tells me you didn't close the PHP inclusion in the hook you quoted above. Or that extra " ; " at the end might be doing it. The bigger question in my mind... why are you putting that sidebar plugin in your header when the Facebook icon should have the same effect? Moreover, being something intended for the sidebar, it ensures that each individual page is liked, rather than the whole site.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gcaptain
I removed the extra ";" with no change to the problem. We have done extensive A/B testing on the number of likes received with different placement and found this one to be the most effective. It's about 15% more effective than when placed in the sidebar and 80% more effective than having the Facebook icon alone. Liking an article only shares that one article with the people's friends but liking the entire site subscribes then to our Facebook page which pushes future articles to each visitor's FB wall. Therefore it's important to have Facebook buttons for both individual articles and the entire site.