Sign in to follow this  
ringo1

possible to add banner to content area with shortcode?

ringo1

Hi folks, that's my question. Or something that could create this look. Trying to do something fancy like this and don't know the best approach. Would like to add something like the "featured listing" box I have in this layout. Thanks for any input! http://onet-it.com/banner.jpg

Rob
Ringo, you could simply implement a CSS styled table. with two cells. One for the text, one the image.You can see from http://www.epicurus.com how you can implement color backgrounded tables (see the Marketplace). You can even use simple CSS to round corners if you like. (Surprised me by far!)

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ringo1
Hi Rangelone, I was thinking that tables would be a good solution. I'm feeling this site is restricting me because the customer wants to manage the content themselves and I don't want them to get too challenged. But at this point I'll deal with that if it comes up. : ) Would you just code it in the spot as html with the css attached to it?

Rob
Wordpress is a pain in the assets when it comes to tables. I find that you have to put the style tags in each table component. Check the source code on my site.. There's tables inside the content too... in fact almost all below the slider are in tables. You can see how I did things there and in the Marketplace (for background colors. Also use this http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_table.asp as a guide.

Rob
Actually, let me add to that... if you were to style that table in Custom Code, you'd have to do so much customization to make each class appear a particular way, then apply that class to each table row and cell that it's just as easy to copy/paste one table cell format to another.

zvelena
So I get from your discussion that it is impossible to add banners through a shortcode in the page content area ?

poseyg
ringo1, You can also tackle this another way. In your default template setup, add a banner section below your content section. Then if you want the 3 boxes like in your example, add a box section below the banner section. Set both of these to "hide by default". Now you add a banner exactly like your example as well as 3 boxes for the 3 boxes below your example. Hope this helps, Poseyg

Rob
I agree with Posey, but also point out too that you can set up your text area in the box to pick up content from selected posts (not shown to visitors) via RSS feed readers. I do that on the front page of my site, as you may have seen.

ringo1
Thanks guys! Appreciate your input. I just laid out some tables in dreamweaver and then pasted them into the html. Tacky and cheap I know but it looks fine and works in IE 8 which is what the client is using.