Sign in to follow this  
brandongaudin

Header, footer and social icon questions

Rob
Actually Brandon you should have platformbase activated, not platformpro. Our systems usually make serious upgrades to platformpro which could wipe out any changes, edits or modifications you made in platformpro. I'd strongly suggest activating the base and copying over any customizations made. I would not suggest upgrading until you've copied everything changed and backing up everything first. Copy your Custom Code to a text file and paste it into platformbase once you activate that.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

brandongaudin
Ok, I will do this but want to be 100% sure I understand what all needs to be done so that my website remains 100% the same as it currently is. I understand copying the custom code...but I've also changed a TON of settings. Do I need to export/import theme settings? What about my active plugins? Is there any physical or structural difference between platform base and platform pro? Sorry to ask so many questions....it's just taken me forever to customize this how I want...and I don't want to back track any. I need the site to stay up and active without alterations.

Rob
First you should be careful and I commend your cautiousness. Ask as many questions as you need. I'm not sure where you've changed settings, so it's best to go through everything. Make paper notes (odd, I know, in a digital world). Take snapshots if you can, of all your settings. I don't think that export/import will really help here as that usually deals, I believe, with database settings and those will remain constant. As for plugins, you may have to reinstall them and fix their settings as well, but likely you won't as they're kept separately from the theme... remember the hierarchy of the WP installation... themes go in one subdirectory, plugins in another. Yes, there are physical and structural differences in the two. As I explained earlier, Base is where we keep adaptable files, while Pro is where we keep constant files... those that are the core of the platform. Changing files in Pro is okay, structurally, but in an upgrade, they're likely to be overridden. In Base, they're likely to stay static. The good thing is that you can switch back and forth via Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and check what you did in the Pro section. If you edited/adapted/changed the template. or section. files, then you should be able to copy those from the Pro directory to the Base directory via FTP. Simply download to your local machine, then upload to your Base directory. The very last thing you should do, after you're totally satisfied everything is working perfectly with the platformbase activation is upgrade PlatformPro.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

brandongaudin
Ok, I've changed the theme to platform base but am still having the same issues with header/footer white space and the twitter/rss icons still don't show in color unless hovered over. Also, if I'm using platformbase, what's the point in upgrading platform pro if it's just sitting there idle?

Kate
Hey Brandon, First, about Platform Pro: It's actually not sitting there idle. Base works off of the PlatformPro theme, as a child theme. So, it pulls from those files. As for the code: Just as Kastelic said above about his code, I know I tried mine and it worked fine. Please check your CSS for errors (things like missing end div tags).

brandongaudin
Ok, now everything is updated and the CSS custom code is working...BUT 1) #branding .content-pad {padding-bottom:0 !important;} This is the current code. I put in 10 in place of 0 but that gives too much space...and 0 is too little. When I tried all numbers 1-9, it defaulted to 10. Does the space have to be in intervals of 10? 2) Also, how do I control the footer blank space as well?

kastelic
1) When its zero you can omit the px but in all other cases you need to add px. For example: [code]#branding .content-pad {padding-bottom:5px !important;} [/code] 2) Are you talking about the very bottom below the footer menu etc?

brandongaudin
1) Perfect. Thanks!! Didn't know that. 2) No, the white space between the end of the page content and the top of the footer section (in black). 3) Also, how do I control the spacing between the nav menu and the start of the page content?

catrina
2) How do you want to managed that space? Do you just want to increase it or decrease it? 3) You can control the spacing by using the following CSS: [code]#page-main {margin-top: 0px;}[/code] Change the 0px value to any you need (10px, 20px, 30px, etc.).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

brandongaudin
2) Yes, just know how to increase or decrease the white space. I tried adjusting this code #page-main {margin-bottom: 0px;} but it changes the amount of black background color space above the footer text. I was hoping to adjust the white space. 3) Perfect. Thanks! 4) Also, how do I adjust the font sizes for each of the main site elements (header, body, sub titles, etc)?? I noticed you can manually change the font type and some of the styling on the platform pro dashboard, but it doesn't give me an option to decrease/increase the size of each.

catrina
2) I think you'll need to add actual content to that page first so that there can be something to adjust at the bottom. 4) Firebug is best for determining what CSS needs to be used to change font sizes for different elements. Firebug is available here: getfirebug.com. A tutorial on how to use it for CSS customizations is here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/customization-tips

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

brandongaudin
2) All of the pages now have content...but the same thing still happens. 4) Ok, thanks. I am trying to learn Firebug. I made one change which appears to have worked, but I want to make sure I did it the right way: I wanted to make all the box headers a smaller font size. Here is the code I changed: #boxes h3 { font-size: 1.3em; padding: 0 0 2px;} I changed the 1.3em to 1.2em. Visibly it looks right...but there were a number of places it appeared I could change the font (some were in percentage and some in em). I just want to make sure I altered the right thing.

kastelic
This thread is getting huge, can you start another one and state your current issues? 2) I'm not really seeing an excessive amount of white space. Is it a particular page you need to adjust this on?

brandongaudin
Will do now. I was going to do that but didn't know what you guys preferred.