Sign in to follow this  
musicianwages

Ordered list in sidebar widget not displaying numbers

musicianwages

Hi - I want to put an ordered list in a sidebar widget, but when I do it doesn't display numbers next to each list item. Does anyone know the CSS I should put in base.css to get this to display as a regular ordered list? I think it should be associated with the #wppp_list class, but I can't get it to work. Thanks!

Rob
You shouldn't be finding it necessary to add CSS to create a numbered list, depending on the type of widget you're using in the sidebar. Is it a text widget? If you are going to use CSS, please execute it in Dashboard > PlatformPro > Custom Code in the CSS Rules section. I've been able to add tables, bulleted lists, numbered lists and code in text widgets in the sidebars and without issues.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

musicianwages
I'm using the "Popular Posts" widget, which shows the top 5 most popular posts in order. When I specify that the list should be an ordered list, it displays as an unordered list without indentation. When I add an ordered list to a text sidebar widget as a test, it also doesn't display numbers.

Rob
That's not Recent Posts? I'd suggest you use only "Text" as your widget for such lists. You can format anything in there. If it's not Recent Posts, Popular Posts might be from a plugin and may be styled outside the scope of Wordpress or PlatformPro.

musicianwages
Even if I were using it for Recent Posts, it would not display digits next to each list item. "Popular Posts" dynamically calls the most popular posts and therefore cannot be used as a text widget. But again, even if I were using it in a text widget it would not display digits next to each list item - as I said above: "When I add an ordered list to a text sidebar widget as a test, it also doesn't display numbers."

musicianwages
Let's assume it's a CSS problem. Can anyone suggest the CSS I should add to the base.css file that would give me a true ordered list in the sidebar widgets?

Rob
What's the code you're dropping into the text field? Please post it here.

musicianwages
When I use this code it displays as an unordered list without indentation:
  1. Hello
  2. World
No digits next to the list items.

kastelic
This should do the trick, place in Custom Code -> Custom CSS: [code]ol {list-style: decimal inside}[/code]

musicianwages
Wow, that's great - thank you! I'd like the position to be outside, but it doesn't seem to work to change the "inside" to "outside". Any ideas?

musicianwages
Shoot - I'm afraid that one doesn't work. Is there another way to get the digit outside of the list?