Sign in to follow this  
wonderwoman

feature slider width and sidebar beside

wonderwoman

Hi, There are already a couple of posts on this topic, which I've followed, but I'm stuck at 90% of what I'm trying to achieve. I have a feature slider on the site, but not at the home page. I'm wanting the feature slider to be the width of the main content (or just less than) with the navigation down the left side and next to the feature. The custom code I have relating to the feature is as follows: ------------------------------------------------------ #feature_slider .fcontent .dcol-pad { height: 270px; padding: 10px 20px 20px; } #feature_slider div.default-features {width: 700px;float:right} #feature-area {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature_slider{width:700px;float:right;} #feature-area, .feature-wrap {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature-footer {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature_slider.default-features div{width: 700px;float:right;} #feature-footer.dots{width: 700px;float:right;} .page-id-57 #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-370px;} #feature_slider .fmedia .dcol-pad { overflow: hidden; padding: 0px; text-align: center; } #feature-footer { background: #754e38; } #feature_slider .fmedia { width: 45%; } #feature_slider .fcontent width: 55%; } -------------------------------------- I'm not a css programmer, so I've probably done something really wrong in here. The line I suspect is the most trouble is .page-id-57 #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-370px;}. I've tried the top margin at all sorts of numbers with no success. I'm at a loss to figure out how to get the sidebar displaying on this particular page. URL is: http://www.ornsby.com.au/dummy/lisaperks/singers/ Any suggestions?

catrina
.page-id-57 #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-370px;} <- Have you already removed this piece of code from the CSS? I'd like to see the page without this code.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

wonderwoman
Hi Catrina, Thanks for responding :-) Have removed the code line - makes no difference... I've also tried it at the originally recommended -680 and all sorts of variations. it's active right now so you can have a look

catrina
Can you also post your other CSS? Not just CSS that has to do with the slider and sidebar.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

wonderwoman
body{} .canvas #page-canvas { background-color: transparent; } #branding .content-pad { padding: 20px 0px 1px 15px; } #branding .subhead { margin-bottom: 5px; font-size: .8em; } p.left { color: #E07833; float: left; font-size: 110%; letter-spacing: 0; line-height: 1.7em; margin: 0 15px 5px 0; padding: 0; text-transform: uppercase; width: 250px; } #feature_slider .fcontent .dcol-pad { height: 270px; padding: 10px 20px 20px; } #feature_slider div.default-features {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature-area {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature_slider{width:700px;float:right;} #feature-area, .feature-wrap {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature-footer {width: 700px;float:right;} #feature_slider.default-features div{width: 700px;float:right;} #feature-footer.dots{width: 700px;float:right;} #feature_slider .fmedia .dcol-pad { overflow: hidden; padding: 0px; text-align: center; } #feature-footer {background: #754e38;} #feature_slider .fmedia { width: 45%;} #feature_slider .fcontent {width: 55%} .widget-title {display: none;} .widget { background: url("http://www.ornsby.com.au/dummy/lisaperks/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/overlay-sm.png") top left repeat; } .widget_pages {margin-top: 4em;)

wonderwoman
LOL - I think the winks are the semicolon right bracket! Found and fixed. .widget { background: url("http://www.ornsby.com.au/dummy/lisaperks/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/overlay-sm.png" ) top left repeat; } .widget_pages {margin-top: 4em;}

kastelic
Seems you need enable a sidebar for this page template in Template Setup before we can go about repositioning it. Or am I missing something?

wonderwoman
Well, in the platform pro section > Layout Editor - Default layout mode and Configure Layout dimensions, both have blue column to left and content to the right. also in the Platform Pro section > Template Setup > Feature Page - the Displayed Feature Page Sections are "Pageline Features" only. On the individual page itself, under General Page Setup, Content Section is "one sidebar on left" selected. In the Section control, the only box ticked is hide the comment form. The page template is "feature page" Is there somewhere else I haven't configured it?

wonderwoman
no, sadly, it's not set to hide by default nor on post pages. I'm feeling better about me not being able to figure this out given this doesn't seem easy for others to solve either...

svint5358
From my sight (CSS pro) it is pretty easy to accomplish. When I am looking at the html code itself I can see that the navigation is inside the #sidebar1 container. Then it is not possible to achieve. One solution could be: - wrapping the slider and the navigation into a full-width container. In that case it needs some optimization of the code itself (I am also HTML pro) ;-)

wonderwoman
Don't know if this is a clue... I've changed the "default" page template to include the feature section. Then I changed the page attribute template to default page for the singers page. When I had the content above the feature section, the feature displayed waaaaaaay below the main content (ie the length of the sidebar). When I put it above the content, the sidebar doesn't appear until after the feature section. It's as though the feature section and main content/sidebar are mutually exclusive.

wonderwoman
Thanks svint5358, just a bit confused... in the posts http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/comment/71779#Comment_71779, there's reference to a website http://www.epicurus.com/Glossary that does this (unfortunately it won't load for me right now), plus another post shows another site: http://www.baacbh.org/wp/ which seems to do the same thing I'm after as well. Am I not understanding something from those posts?

Kate
Looks like that's going to be a tricky CSS customization. As such, I'd recommend contacting one of the Pros.

wonderwoman
Pity. Might have to go back to the drawing board...

Jenny
Have you tried putting a menu in a sidebar widget?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

wonderwoman
Hi simple_mama, Yes, the menu is in the sidebar - it's not a menu as such, it's the pages widget. I tried it as a menu widget and had the same result...

wonderwoman
Ahh! Progress!!!! Have to have a content section on the feature page. Now just have to figure out how to change the sidebar to start higher only on one page of the site. Anyone?

wonderwoman
AHHH! Bring out the champagne! I got it! Whew! What a relief. Thank you to everyone who offered their support and suggestions. every little bit helped.

Jenny
Glad you got everything worked out. @eshriner I assume custom CSS was used (which will vary from site to site).

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.