Sign in to follow this  
peters_publishing

Problems with Platform 1.5.3

peters_publishing

I installed the newest version of Platform (also, I'm using the base theme), and two things happened. 1, my twitter feed stopped working. 2, buttons from the AddThis plugin started randomly showing up in my boxes. See an ex. here: http://www.skypeenglishclasses.com/group-english-classes/ Twitter should be in the lower left box. There shouldn't (or used to not be and I'd like to keep it that way) be the AddThis icons in the boxes. This appears to be the only boxes page where the AddThis buttons have started showing up. They are also the only boxes on my site that don't have images in them, so I'm wondering if it's somehow related. Double checked to make sure my twitter info was still in there... it is.

Simon
As we discussed the twitter problem is not related. You cannot block addthis form the actual boxes, as they are a custom post type. BUT you can block them rendering on the page the boxes are on.

[Deleted User]
I took a look and didn't see any custom CSS for the addthis buttons. You could use this in your custom CSS: [code]#boxes .addthis_toolbox{display:none;}[/code]

peters_publishing
Thanks lynnkate, that worked.

peters_publishing
Ok, so the Twitter thing. I still can't get it to work. It worked fine right up until this weekend, and then on Sunday, the same day I installed the newest version of Platform, it stopped working. Pross has informed me that this cannot possibly be related to Platform, so I'm trying to figure out what it could be. I haven't made any other changes to my theme since Sunday, and the plugin I used, Twitter for Wordpress, hasn't been updated in some time. I've tried switching to some more recent twitter plugins today, including "really simple twitter widget" with no luck. I haven't made any changes to my twitter account settings... Also, the twitter bar is still not working. Any ideas on where I should be looking?

Simon
Looks like you have 2400+ websites all sharing your IP. Twitter does not like shared API lookups. I suggest either finding a plugin that requires twitter authentication using its handshake api, or get your own IP.

Simon
Sorry didnt include the results: http://domaintz.com/tools/reverse-ip/66.147.242.171

peters_publishing
Shared IPs are a common thing. I would guess that most people who buy themes rather than build their own site from the ground up use shared IPs. Also, Twitter has been working on my site fine for months. It broke last Sunday, after I updated my theme.

peters_publishing
One weird thing I've neglected to mention. Since this happened, the feed I had in the lower left widget, the Twitter bar have been broken across the site. The Tweet button is broken on posts, but for some reason it still works on the pages.

Simon
There is no tweet button on posts?? Unknown Twitter error.??” skypenglish <- twitter is not allowing anonymous connections from your server as I have mentioned before.

peters_publishing
There's a Tweet button on the posts, but when it's clicked, it doesn't actually post the link to Twitter, nor does it add the "tweet" to the counter. The weird thing is that it works fine on the pages. So... the pages appear to twitter in this way, but the posts don't.

peters_publishing
Ok.... So it looks like my Twitter problems were purely coincidental with the upgrade. Looks like Twitter has been having issues with certain IPs, especially ones on Bluehost, since last weekend... when I upgraded. There's some documentation here: https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/1406 Thanks for all the help!

peters_publishing
Just got off the phone with Bluehost. They confirmed that they are in discussions with Twitter to try to solve the problem.