Sign in to follow this  
matthew_anderson

Addthis Fixed Position?

matthew_anderson

I am trying to figure out how to install the code here: http://www.addthis.com/gallery/fixed-position My blog is mereorthodoxy.com. I currently have the Addthis plugin installed, but am not sure where to put the jquery and when I put the html into Single.php, I only get errors. Any tips? Many thanks. Matt

Jenny
First of all, you shouldn't edit any core files of the PlatformPro installation. Reason: when you update your theme, all changes will be lost. Instead of trying to do all the work yourself, why don't you just use a plugin to make things a little easier. There are several social sharing plugins available which use AddThis such as: WP Socializer: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-socializer/ Simple Social Bookmarks: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/simple-social-bookmarks/ View the complete list of plugins with AddThis at: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=addthis&sort=

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

matthew_anderson
Thanks, Jenny. I've actually got the AddThis plugin installed, but am looking to get the links to to be fixed on the left side of the screen for every post, per the link I provided. I haven't been able to find a plugin that will do this for AddThis, and found info on their forums saying that in order to make it happen, I have to insert the code manually. My only problem is knowing *where* to insert said code to get it to work. On more simple themes I've used in the past, it would have been single.php, the index.php file, and the stylesheet. But this one I have no idea. Thanks for whatever help you can give me! Best, Matt

Jenny
So you're wanting the social media icons vertically-aligned on the left of the post, for example? I only know enough PHP to get myself in trouble. :) But by asking questions, hopefully someone else can help you if I can't. I've seen blogs that have vertical icons but never looked in to it myself. Also, can you provide a link to your site (if the plugin is active and showing)?

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

poseyg
Ok...here's how you make it work. Go to the Custom Code section of Platform Pro. Add the CSS code from the AddThis code. Then, scroll down until you see "Footerscripts Code or Analytics" copy and insert the javascript from the Addthiss example. Then go the page you want these to show up on and switch to "html" view...copy the html code from the Addthis and paste into the bottom of your page....make sure the references to your images are correct:
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Stumble It More...
and there you go.

matthew_anderson
Thank you for the help. I would like to "unaccept" this answer, though. I would like this to appear on individual posts, not on pages, which means I need to be able to add it to a file that uploads every post that is created--not just add to single pages. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Jenny
@matthew_anderson Even though @poseyg referenced a page, you should still be able to do this in a post as well. Have you tried it?

matthew_anderson
Sorry--got back to this late. Been a busy month. The problem is that I don't know which file to drop the code into for posts. It doesn't work when I put it into my single.php file. So I'm not sure where to put the code. That's my basic question. Matt

Jenny
With his code above, he is stating to paste the code into your actual posts (in the html viewer), not in a PHP file.

matthew_anderson
Yeah, that's just not a feasible solution. There's no way I want to manually copy/paste that code into the html of every single post I write. I really want to be able to put it into the template for the posts so that I don't need to do it. Surely there has to be a place that we can customize the post format.

matthew_anderson
As an example of what I'm trying to do, see http://goinswriter.com/.

Rob
Matthew, I'm going to get you very upset, but hopefully, get your problem resolved as well. You said something much earlier no one else seems to have caught on to... that you tried to edit single.php. If you're editing that file, you doubtlessly have platformpro not platformbase activated. That would be incorrect from the start and would cause problems for you as time goes by. Please see this for information on changing over. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/14315/activating-the-correct-theme#Item_1 Next, the javascript or what you call jQuery should, once you have platformbase activated, go into Dashboard > Platformpro Settings > Custom Code in the Header Scripts area. This is generally where javascripts go. This bitgoes into Custom Code in the CSS Rules area: [code]/* Fixed Positioned AddThis Toolbox */ .addthis_toolbox.atfixed { position: fixed; top: 10%; left: 20px; border: 1px solid #eee; padding: 5px 5px 1px; width: 32px; -moz-border-radius: 4px; -webkit-border-radius: 4px; border-radius: 4px; } .addthis_toolbox .custom_images a { width: 32px; height: 32px; margin: 0; padding: 0; cursor: pointer; } .addthis_toolbox .custom_images a img { border: 0; margin: 0 0 1px; opacity: 1.0; } .addthis_toolbox .custom_images a:hover img { margin: 1px 0 0; opacity: 0.75; }[/code] The next bit actually should go into a totally different file. Login via FTP and download to your local computer a file called template.postloop.php from wp-content/themes/platformpro. Edit the file and add this [code]
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Stumble It More...
[/code] It should go just before the last line that says

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur