Sign in to follow this  
winston123

Problems with Feature page and Password Protection

winston123

Having real problems with the links in the feature boxes in Whitehouse pro. I firstly built the site and hosted it then the client wanted the site moved to their own hosting and we have had nothing but problems ever since. The website is www.ectopharma.com. I added a new section under Products - Kindaped - UK Launch of ???Hedrin Treat & Go??? which was fine then when I tried to link the new Kindaped page to the featureboxes on the front they won't let me change the link. The links on the front page all seem to connect to the old sandbox site "http://www.graingerdunsmore.com/ectopharma/?page_id=52". I am tearing my hair out. Can anyone help? Also, When I set password protection on the 'Shareholders' page it won't work.

catrina
When you edit the feature boxes in your settings, have you changed the links to new ones or do you try and they don't save?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

winston123
Hi Catrina, thanks for the reply. They don't hold the setting when I try to change any links/txt in any feature box. In addition I get a "404 not found error" generated on the server when I hit "Save Setup" within the Whitehouse Pro Feature set up in Wordpress- the server side page that shows the error is the "admin-post.php?action=pagelines_save". Any thoughts? I can manually edit any pages/permissions/sql db on the host server thru cPanel or ftp, but for some reason Wordpress won't allow the changes to the Feature pages. I can create new pages without feature boxes and edit pages already there (but not the Feature box). I'm pretty much stumped by this. I can't see anything obvious in cPanel related to file permissions that would cause this. I had a quick look through the wp_ files in php_myadmin, but, apart from not seeing anything that's obvious, that's really not my area of expertise. Thanks again.

catrina
Have you tried backing up the site content along with the theme, doing a fresh install of WordPress, and re-uploading the theme?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

winston123
Thinking about that as the last option to be honest. Site has to be amended and live tomorrow. Site is actually up and running at www.ectopharma.com - the issue is that, no matter what I do, the links on the front page within the feature boxes at the bottom all still point to the original files on "graingerdunsmore.com" where I originally built the site. All the other links in the whole ectopharma site point to the correct ectopharma pages. While the site still works and goes to the correct page content, it doesn't look good for the client to have their pages on another host.

catrina
Try deleting the feature boxes, creating new ones again, and adding the content back in.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

winston123
Unable to even delete/add new feature boxes - every time I try and do that I get a 404 page not found error. Pretty frustrating, I have to say!

catrina
Hm, it might be hosting issue (as evidenced here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/solve-a-404-after-save-changes-from-options-permalinkphp) involving the htaccess file.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

winston123
Thanks Catrina, I'll check that link. I think originally that was the issue - I was unable to edit any pages at all regardless of Feature boxes and anytime I changed the default permalinks in WP I got the same error - but after checking the server error logs I edited the .htaccess file to # BEGIN WordPress RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L] # END WordPress This now allows all pages to be edited apart from those Feature boxes - which can't even be deleted. At the same time the host server is no longer showing anything in the error log to help with trouble shooting, and I have raised a support ticket for that. Everything has gone wrong at the same time! My only thought is that the links contained in those Feature boxes are pointing to another server host and the present server host is refusing to forward them when editing. Maybe throwing up the 404 error. Until I get access to the server error logs again, I'm at a loss as to where it's going wrong.

winston123
It's uk based 4u hosts. All other sites are on bluehost (this ectopharma site was there and was transferred over) and there's no issue, so my thinking is that the issue is probably server side - but being unable to even see the error log is frustrating to say the least - maybe it was an issue when moving the site. Not sure. This was done by someone else at the company and I'm unable to contact them at the moment. It's just the fact that it's only these Feature boxes that are causing any problems. Everything else is fine. Thanks for your time and help, I'll post back if I find an answer in case anyone else has the same issue.

catrina
Ask the person who transferred the site if they followed (or at least closely followed) these instructions from moving a WordPress site from one server to another: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress#Moving_WordPress_to_a_New_Server

Designer | Catrina Dulay

winston123
Hi Catrina, the answer lay in the mod_security settings on the host server. When Wordpress tries to send the info from the updated Feature Boxes server side, certain strings must have been generated (I'm not sure if it was from the underlying Pagelines code or from the links and txt contained in the Feature Boxes themselves) which are picked up by mod_security as an attempt at a code injection exploit. Because the original pages with the Feature Boxes were moved over to the new host, this issue never came up until I tried to change them directly on the new host server. The admin at the host created an exception for the lines which caused the issue - he didn't actually say which lines they were. Thanks to you and Jimmy for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.