Sign in to follow this  
amp1basketball

Custom navigation buttons replacing standard navigation?

amp1basketball

Hi, I have a client who specifically wants a custom set of navigation buttons (as opposed to the minimalist text nav that comes with platformpro), and they would like a set of secondary nav text links below the custom nav mentioned. They are happy with the rest of the look of platformpro. Is there anyway that I can replace the current navigation with this custom navigation setup I designed? (See below please). rbdsb7.jpg Please advise... Thanks!

Rob
You should be able to customize the current code with code for that style of menu via Custom Code / CSS Rules Do you have Firebug for Firefox? It will help you considerably in finding the right section to edit. If you're able and need additional assistance, please send a link to your site.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

amp1basketball
I have firebug, but I've never really used it. Just got it last week actually. I have pretty limited coding experience...do you still think I'd be able to make this work? I don't want to start on the site until I feel pretty good one way or the other about whether the nav will work, so unfortunately I don't have a link to show you just yet. What files would I parse through to find the code I'd need to replace? I just wanted to take a look at it based on another site I put together for a different client with this theme.

amp1basketball
actually...if you wanted to look at the site I mentioned that I'd created for a different client, and tell me what code I'd need to modify based on that design, maybe I could implement your direction towards the new site I'm contemplating using this theme on. http://www.amp1basketball.com Take a look at that if you can and let me know if you think it's possible based on that design. The one I'm doing for this other client will be almost identical structure-wise, just skinned differently and with the graphic nav I referenced originally.

cmunns
Yeah it's definitely possible, but you might end up pulling some hair out because it seems simple but as a beginner the nav seems to be one of those things that are harder to change because of the moving parts so-to-speak I would hire someone for 20-30 minutes to just knock it out for you.

amp1basketball
Thanks for the response...I just wrote you a message through your contact form on your site. Are you available for hire to help me with this navigation issue? It sounds like it might be easier to go through someone who's familiar with the theme than just a random wordpress coder. Please let me know when you have a chance... Thanks, --Eric Seven. Six. Zero. Four. Four. Five. Eight. Nine. One. Five eric [at] saundersintegrated [dot] com

Jenny
Another thought would be to design the main nav as part of the header image and then set the nav bar background as transparent in CSS. Don't know how you'd do the child nav though. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

evasj
It sounds like a good idea simple_mama, and I would like to try it out, but how do you set the bar background as transparent in CSS? Do you have the code for doing that? :)

evasj
One more question. How can I deaktivate the homepagelink on the header, if I want to make my own logo with my own-designed navbar? On that kind of logo, there will be several link behind the buttons/nav. Now I think, I get it. :-) In Template Setup, I remove NAV and LOGO. Then added a Universal bar. In this U.bar, I add an textbox, where I paste the code on my logo, with buttons, and the buttons individual links. It works!!

catrina
To make the bar transparent using CSS, you'll need to add a "background: none;" property to the CSS class for the navigation bar. It should be this (added to Custom Code > Custom CSS): [code]#nav_row {background: none;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Jenny
If you do end up using an image like I suggested above, I would love to see how it turns out. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.