Sign in to follow this  
creativelearning

Secondary Nav on Blog Posts Page and Category Page?

creativelearning

Is it possible to view the Secondary Nav on a Blog Posts Page or Category Page? When I add the Blog Posts page as a dropdown to the Navigation and I click on that page the secondary nav does not show up on that page. The same thing goes for Category pages. Is it possible to add?

Rob
A link to your site please? Under Dashboard > PlatformPro > Header and Nav do you have "Enable Drop Down Navigation?" checked? Also, same settings... in the section "Posts Page Secondary Navigation" do you have a secondary menu selected?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

creativelearning
To answer your questions: Under Dashboard > PlatformPro > Header and Nav do you have "Enable Drop Down Navigation?" checked? Yes. Also, same settings... in the section "Posts Page Secondary Navigation" do you have a secondary menu selected? I did not have a secondary navigation selected. I selected a navigation as a test and now a secondary nav comes up on the actual Blog/Posts Page. However a secondary nav does not show up on a Category Page. Category Pages look like the Blog/Post page but only show posts from certain category. More advice?

Rob
Ah, the category page doesn't exactly have the same structure. However, there are many plugins you can apply to replace your category pages. Essentially, the plugins allow you to put the category content on a regular page, allowing you the same flexibility you'd have with any page.

Rob
Try this one http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/in-page-post-list/

creativelearning
That's a great idea but I would prefer to edit the Category page to include this data as opposed to using a plugin to solve the problem.

kastelic
Looks like this was answered here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/8323/secondary-nav-in-site-header-only-available-on-home-page/p1

creativelearning
It's still now working correctly. I wish I could show you the website but at the moment it is still in development and I cannot go live with it yet. To explain more: All my posts currently are viewable on the blog page of the website. However the new pages I have made link to a only a category of posts found under the blog page. So what happens is that when I click on this link it takes me to a page that is layed out like the blog page but show only posts from that category. I would like the secondary nav to show up on this page. I have selected it under meta settings but it doesn't show up. Could it be because of the fact that its permalink is directing it to a specific category page? If I remove the direct link to that page it works fine but it's a blank page with no information.

creativelearning
Ok, so I now have a secondary nav on the blog page after I selected it in the platform pro settings under "header and nav" but still no luck under that category. Basically any page with http://yoururl.com/category/yourcategory

Rob
Hi, can you take snapshots of the pages/posts where this problem is happening and post them via imgur or here between [ img] (no space) tags. You'll need a closing one too [ /img] (also, remove space)? Try to make your images no wider then 610px

creativelearning
I'm sorry I can't do that. Please understand that the category page looks exactly like the blog page minus the secondary nav.

creativelearning
Could it be as easy as editing the category page itself? I noticed in the coding of the page that the page is not calling the
    on that page. Perhaps I just need to insert into the actual page template?

Rob
On the Template Setup, please go through each option in the drop down list and make a list of where the Secondary Nav appears. It should be on one of them. If it's only on something like Feature Page or so, you may need to make sure it's present on the page creating your category pages. It may simply be a case of trial and error to see which one makes it appear correctly.

creativelearning
Don't understand where the "Template Setup" is. Are you talking about the Meta Settings for each page? Or The Platform pro universal settngs?

creativelearning
Is the Category Page Template the same as the Blog Page Template? I don't believe it is. As I mentioned earlier the Blog page shows the Secondary Nav selected under the Pagelines Platform Pro Universal Settings. But the Category page shows nothing. Would you happen to know where I can edit the Category Page Template or what file name is?

creativelearning
Would you happen to know why the secondary nav would appear on the blog page but not on category page? Ex: http://yoururl.com/category/yourcategory

kastelic
Having secondary nav on category pages isn't available by default but there is a way to do it: Check this thread: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/10518#post-57833

creativelearning
It worked! Thanks! Do you ever see this being incorporated into the theme? I can only wonder why it hasn't yet. It should be possible to work with all page and most of all possible to select under Meta Settings. What I did to get it to work is below. I basically followed the instructions in the post above added "section.ubernav.php" to the "sections" folder under the child theme of Platform Pro and added the code: pagelines_register_section('PageLinesUberNav', 'ubernav', null, array('child' => true) ); to the "functions.php" of the child theme. Then you select the "Uber Navigation" menu under the "Header and Nav" section of the PlatformPro Theme Settings. Should be the last selection. Now you need to make sure you add the "Uber Nav" to the Template of page you are using under Template Setup. Selecting your "Uber Nav" under the "Meta Settings" of your page will only bring up the Primary Menu of your website so it will not work under page settings.