Sign in to follow this  
camatteo

My old website keeps showing as I revise the old html...do I need to disable the old one?

camatteo

Old website, done in Dreamweaver and uploaded via ftp client (5+years old site design) www.wccaucus.org I have installed WordPress and PlatformPro at wccaucus.org. I am reworking the site within WordPress but when I view any of the revisions I see the old website. I am desigining in the Dashboard in WP but I never see either the PlatformPro layout or design choices, nor the new content I've added or tested. Please, respondents, keep in mind that short glib answers are unappreciated. I will reject cursory comments and this will reflect on karma. I would like a step-by-step or a credible reference to help me with this question. I will also write to Customer Service and insist on a refund. I am doing this website for an educational non-profit; we pride ourselves in concrete, how-to accuracy and efficiency with what we teach. Step-by-step means how-to. Flighty references to jargon will be rejected. Sorry to be so blunt, but I am weary of writing to the Forum to hear only "you just have to _____" with no how-to.

catrina
*Please make sure you have your old website content backed up before you make any changes to your site at wcccaucus.org so that you won't lose anything.* Your WordPress install sounds like it's working fine since you're on the Dashboard, so we won't worry about that. You'll need to make sure that your WordPress general settings (screenshot of it shown here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_General_Screen) reflect that you want to have the WordPress content showing on the site hosted on your domain. If those settings aren't implemented, your WordPress theme content isn't going to show up regardless of how many customizations you make. You're not going to want the old content to show up, so it's best to put it somewhere else (which is why I mentioned that you should have it backed up in a folder on your computer so you can take pieces of it and implement them into the WordPress theme as you see fit). First, please log into WordPress (at http://www.wccaucus.org/wp-admin) and on the right side of your Dashboard, go to [b]Appearance > Themes[/b]. You're going to see a page with the themes that are installed on WordPress. [b]Do you see the themes "PlatformPro" and "PlatformBase" (or either of them) installed?[/b] [u]Scenario A-[/u] [b]IF you don't[/b] see these themes listed, they were not installed correctly. In this case, please tell me the steps you took in installing the PlatformPro theme on WordPress. [u]Scenario B-[/u] [b]IF you do[/b] see both of these themes listed, you must activate [b]PlatformBase[/b]. If PlatformBase isn't listed, you must install it (it comes with with PlatformPro - it's the child theme that needs to be used in order for edits to be properly made to any files you want to modify). PlatformBase can be found on your Launchpad account (log in at http://pagelines.com/launchpad). It can be downloaded, unzipped, and installed on WordPress. (The steps for this scenario can be described in detail when needed.) Please post here which scenario above applies to you ([u]A[/u] or [u]B[/u]) and the further correct steps can be provided according to your situation.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

camatteo
Completed: 1. back-up was already done: check 2. only PlatformPro was installed; therefore, I installed PlatformBase and activated it: check. Scenario B is where I'm at! Looking forward to the next step...

camatteo
I understand you -- and this seems to be where you're more accurate than the support person on my service provider -- then I should correct the general settings in the Dashboard in order to view the changes as I make them? How do I change them? Thanks, in advance.