Sign in to follow this  
geoffmeador

Define a persistent Secondary Nav?

geoffmeador

I've set up a Secondary Nav menu that is an integral part of my site's header design, and I'd like it appear on literally every page and post of the site. The element is in the Header template. It seems, however, that I'd have to select the menu from the Meta settings on a per-page/post basis every time something is created, or else it's left blank. Is there a way to choose a default value for new pages and posts, so they always have a Secondary Nav selected?

Rob
Can we have a link Geoff and an example of where it works and where it doesn't if possible? Also, in the Template Setup for Site Header, where you have Secondary Nav, under Advanced Settings, is there a check box set for Hide on Posts/Pages? If so, uncheck it.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

geoffmeador
Hi Rangelone, Thanks for replying. No, that box isn't checked. The problem is that each time I create a new page or post, "Select Secondary Nav Menu" in the PageLines meta settings is set to ??”SELECT??” rather than "Secondary," which is the custom menu I've created. I need it to default to showing "Secondary," basically. The section is always active, it's just empty. Here's a post I created, then selected the menu I need in the meta settings: http://gracechurch.com/2011/08/29/guest-speaker-dr-ron-allen/ And a page where I selected the appropriate menu after creating the page: http://gracechurch.com/visiting/ But here's a post where I just left things the way they were, and the secondary nav isn't included: http://gracechurch.com/2011/08/29/welcome-to-our-new-website/ And a page where it's not showing either: http://gracechurch.com/history/ Note that the "Home" page of the site is currently overridden by a manual index.htm. Thanks

Rob
Okay, this one's interesting. Please navigate in your WP Admin to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Header and Nav. Scroll down to [b]Posts Page Secondary Navigation[/b]. Is your secondary nav selected there?

geoffmeador
Yes. I had set that to "Secondary," thinking that was the fix I needed, but it didn't change anything that I could see.

kastelic
To my knowledge there's no way to set a default secondary nav.

jankowalski
what???? so i can have my navigation only on blog index?

Rob
Many people using Platform and other themes regularly misunderstand the Wordpress function of Secondary Nav. It is not intended to serve as a second menu on posts, which a default secondary nav would do. Rather, when you're creating page or posts, you may select from a wide number of secondary nav menus you've created. This is why Wordpress (not Platform) provides you the option to select secondary nav on a page by page basis. Actually, secondary nav is intended to expand the capabilities of websites with things like categories, allowing you to create pages for categories or subject areas and for each main or parent page, you can have multiple child and grandchild pages. The offer website owners and developers the ability to create all types of hierarchy in site structure. So in answer to your question above. Yes, you can have your navigation on the index, but you can't have it show up everywhere automatically. You have to select the menus you want, when and where you want them. Unfortunately, when bigger sites are built, the workload increases a bit. Though we try to minimize this as much as possible, there are still choices webmasters must make on their own.