Sign in to follow this  
antonyw

Google search results text

antonyw

Hi, I want to change the text that appears when I do a search on google for my website. The text that shows is the standard pagelines blurb. Where is this coming from and how do I customise it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob
Antony, Can you provide more detail, such as links to your site and a google example of what happens?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

antonyw
The site is Www.antonywhitehead.com Searching for antonywhitehead in google you get, antonywhitehead.com | creative consulting antonywhitehead.com/ antonywhitehead.com ?· Welcome ?· Product Development ?· Business Development ?· Commercial Development ?· Global Experience ... .......well, look at that, it's fixed itself with time ,it was showing page lines info. So can I customise the text returned during a search, some kind of hidden meta/header data.? Thanks

Rob
There are plugins that can help you add meta data, but the most important thing to do is to add plenty of tags to each post you create in your site. Those "tags" are keywords picked up by search engines. The next most important thing you should do routinely is to add an excerpt to each post. Make it short (25 words or less - 200 characters or less). This ensures that for each post, Google and other engines can find out what a post is about. Third, even if a picture speaks 1000 words, don't let graphics do all the talking for you. In posts or pages, make sure there's text to describe the purpose of the page, what you're trying to communicate and the information you want others to know. Search engines read pages. If they have nothing to read (like just an image with text in graphic form) they'll presume the page or post is ONLY the image.

antonyw
Really helpful insight and info, thanks for that

Rob
Its what we live for. Of course... I don't have a social life. But let's not go there.