Sign in to follow this  
Jenny

How to: Featured image + thumbnails = gallery?

Jenny

I would like to have a full-width photo appear at the top of the home page with 5-6 thumbnails appearing below. Ultimately these thumbnails would rotate (like the carousel) and when a thumbnail is clicked, I would like for it to replace the image above. I cannot think of a way to do this with the PageLines built-in features. I also cannot find a plugin that does this either. So I'm looking for a little help and guidance. Maybe you know a guy who knows a guy who has done this. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Jenny, Go to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Feature Settings and make sure you have Feature Thumbs (50px x 30px) selected. Make thumbnails of whatever size you prefer. Basically, the 5:3 ratio makes a small landscape image, but there's no reason you couldn't have the images in any configuration you wish. Go to Dashboard > Features and edit each of your sliders going to [b]Feature Thumb (50px by 30px)[/b] Upload the thumbnail you have that matches the slider. Repeat this for each slider. Now we'll need your extraordinary skills with CSS (of which I'm jealous). You need to write some custom CSS to change the size of the thumb to the size you actually want, over-ruling the 50 x 30 guideline. Let me know if this works.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny
I understand what you're saying and I did mess around with it a bit but I was looking for a solution that was more automated. I was looking for something like this (http://software.bmo-design.de/scrollgallery/wordpress-plugin-nextgen-scroll-gallery.html). Unfortunately the plugin has a conflict with the photo storefront I'm using so that's a no-go. :( (PS. I hate that I had to reject your answer but the notification window wouldn't go away.. lol)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Jenny, don't think about the rejection. I'm a big boy and can take my lumps! I'm not sure about that. It appears to be a combination of a carousel and slider, but the slider is only activated by clicking the carousel. My guess is that you may need something like mootools (I'm thinking about noobslide) http://www.efectorelativo.net/laboratory/noobSlide/ (see Example 7)

Rob
How about this one? http://slidesjs.com/

Jenny
The first one that you linked might work. For now I am just setting it up using a feature and then linking to the individual page from the slide. I'm setting up a photography blog to post photos for my son's football team. :) I'll play around with it sometime and check out the other one for sure. Thanks!