Sign in to follow this  
kellid

2 Post Pages

kellid

Hi All, I was wondering if it's possible to have 2 different post pages. My client wants 1 post page to show interviews and stories and the second post page to have updated news posts. Is it possible to have 2 pages with different posts? Thanks!! Kelli I'm sorry to repost but I incorrectly marked it as "answered" when it is not. The great Catrina responded to this thread with this... "If you use two categories (one category for interviews and stories and a second category for updated news posts) so that they can each serve as two different post pages. Does that make sense?" I have since made another category but I still can't get the posts marked "News" to go to the page I've title "News". I've tried to find the php file that I would alter the query post but I can't find the page!! Can someone please tell me the best way to have posts going to 2 different pages without losing my mind? Thanks :))

Jenny
Since you have the two categories now, you can just go into Appearance -> Menus and assigned the categories to appear as menu items. Don't forget to save your menu when you're done.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

kellid
You make this sound so simple! I clicked add new nav menu, then added each and assigned the corresponding page and category but the post is still showing up on the only post page I have. I can't get the posts to go to new page! This worked for you?! Thanks for responding :-/

kellid
If I give you my url information, would you mind looking and see what it is i'm doing wrong?

catrina
In your posts dedicated to "News", you need to make sure that they're marked to be part of that category (on the right side in the post editor), otherwise they won't be categorized at all. Posting a link would help. :)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kellid
I did assign it to the correct category as well. I did all of that. I'm sorry to bother with such a mundane problem... http://modelalliance.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelalliance.org%2Fwp-admin%2Fedit.php&reauth=1 user - kelli pass - modelall The two pages are Daily Feed and Forum. They all go to Forum and not redirecting to Daily Feed. Do I need to edit the loop php file? Thanks so much for your help :))

catrina
I tried logging in several times but the password appears to be incorrect. Can you please repost the log-in info? I don't think there should be any code editing. Here are more detailed instructions. Let me know if you followed the same directions: 1) Create categories "News" and "Interviews and Stories" (or whatever you wanted to call these categories). 2) Assign the desired posts to these categories. 3) Go to Appearance > Menus and create a custom menu set to be the Primary Navigation Menu. Add these category pages to that custom menu and save.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kellid
i'm such an idiot. i'm sorry!! password is modelall2011 :-/ I'm so sorry. :( I did all of that as well.

kellid
If I make that my primary nav than it takes the page navigation away from the home page. argh. http://modelalliance.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelalliance.org%2Fwp-admin%2Fedit.php&reauth=1 user - kelli pass - modelall2011 thank you catrina.

Rob
Kelli, Going back to what Simple Mama posted, I think you might have misunderstood her. She did not say to create new menus. She said to add the two categories to your menu. Go to Dashboard > Appearances > Menus making sure your old primary menu is the default one. Beneath the box where you do that, lower down on the page, you'll see a small grey box for Pages and below that one for Categories. You should see the two categories you created for your post pages. They'll have check boxes. Check them both then click Add to Menu. Actually, it's quite simple to add the two menu items so that your visitors can navigate to them directly. Also, in your sidebar, if you have one, you can add the Categories widget by sliding it over to whatever sidebar you like. To do this, go to Dashboard > Appearances > Widgets. By appearing on the sidebar, your visitors have options.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

kellid
Hi Rangelone! Under dashboard > appearances > with the default primary nav selected, the boxes are greyed out. I can't select anything unless I create a New menu. I see the categories and the menu options but I can't click on them...with the default primary nav selected. I've tried creating a new menu and adding the pages but the sub-pages all show up alongside the primary pages. I'm screwed up. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Jenny
It sounds like you've never created a menu in Wordpress then. If that's the case, you need to note your menu structure by taking a screen shot, writing it down, whatever you want to do so you know what menu items you have. Then create a new menu using the instructions we've provided above. You can add anything as a menu item (i.e. pages, categories, an external link, etc).

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

kellid
That was my next move. I like you simple mama. thanks :)

Jenny
haha Thanks! :) Let us know if you run in to any issues. If you want a brief tutorial, this should help you: http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/.

kellid
it worked!! YAY!!! VERY much appreciated mama :) many thanks to everyone who broke it down. Kelli

Jenny
Yay! Glad you got it figured out. :)