Sign in to follow this  
ayurgol

How to make one free-of-link menu item (with drop down) in menu (primary nav)?

ayurgol

Solutations to all developers! Now using plaform pro 1.5.1, have problem with realizing of one idea. I wanna to unlink last page (menu item) in primary nav, so that only drop-down appears (with child-pages) but no link works (be active) by clicking on or focusing on this parent page menu item - like More button on google.com. I've just found a way to deal with this by .htaccess 301 redirect on "fake link": # (making this parent page links to href="#"), and it work at my blog, but doesn't work when clicked from bbpress forum, resulting in 310 error: too many redirects... maybe something should be included from wp to bbpress config... I don't know... So, any idea, how to make this: by filter, or plugin (failed to found any like) ?! Would be very appreciated for suggestions....

Rob
First, do you have PlatformPro or PlatformBase activated as your theme? It's supposed to be PlatformBase. Next, this has been a Wordpress problem for some time. As you may be aware, the menus are generated in WordPress, not in any theme. You can create a link to your homepage and label it to anything you wish for your parent level menu items. Doing this will always bring visitors back to your homepage and avoid errors.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ayurgol
Yeah, I'm using platformbase activated. I'm partly understand your suggestion ) Can you give an example?! As I resume this way of doing will not remove inconvenience of circle redirect... I've tried to use hooks and my own menus, but this my More button thus stands to stay either under primary nav or below.... Any other suggestions?! ) I've heard about plugin that removes link from parent menu item making only child items working.... but could find as yet...

ayurgol
I've found one satisfactory solution ) Maybe it will be useful for others: Which I've added in header.php between and nodes. "li.page-item-123" - selects the li element of menu with id=123, and "javascript:void(0)" replaces the href property of it. So now one parent menu item has "empty" link, both on blog and forum, with "childs" working...

Simon
Just some advice, dont edit the core files, if you want something added into the HEAD use an action in platformbase/functions.php ( wp_head would be the action to use ) This way you will be able to update later and not lose your edited code. http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/wp_head