Sign in to follow this  
handcath

Site Background Image - will not upload

handcath

Hi, I am using the Base theme as a child theme. I have been trying to upload a jpg file as a new site background, using the Design Control > Site bachground Image > Upload Image. The image just won't upload. I also uploaded the file in the right directory using FTP. Still no luck. Having searched and read relevant posts in the forum, I: a. Set appropriate permissions (666) for both the jpg file and the upload directory as well as the dynamic.css file. b. Disabled AJAX - tried with option checked and without. c. Made dynamic.css inline d. Tried different file types GIF, other JPGs,etc... If it is a hosting issue what should I be asking for? Thanks in advance.

kastelic
How large is the image dimensions? I've had trouble uploading images up too high dimensions (say, 3000px wide) into Wordpress.

handcath
Thanks for your reply. The image is rather small i.e. 520x67. Still, no luck. Was uploaded to /public_html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/images folder. I also tried with different Site Design modes and folders, also to no avail. Regards.

Simon
The uploader uses standard wordpress uploads api, so if you can uload the image with the wordpress media manager then it should work in platforms settings too. It will upload to your uploads dir

handcath
Sorry I meant to say, WP does indeed upload the image to the server, except it won't show in wordpress (Design Control window). Basically, no image is shown under the "upload image" and as a result the image won't show on my website. [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/picture1id.gif/][IMG]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2852/picture1id.gif[/IMG][/URL]

catrina
What happens when you upload an image to the media library? Does the same thing happen?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

handcath
Interesting. If I upload the jpg to the media library it uploads it to an imaginary folder on my server ...com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bg.jpg Should be .com/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bg.jpg The same happens when using the Design Control facility. Of course, if I ftp the file to the correct /public_html folder and then point my browser directly to .com/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bg.jpg I get a 404 error.

Rob
Actually, .com/public_html/wp.... is the PATH, not the URL. I suspect you may have some settings in your Wordpress installation done incorrectly. Additionally, the uploads directory will likely not take images uploaded via any means than FTP if the CHMOD is set to 666. Try 755 or 777. In your WordPress settings, make sure the URL for the is not entered (leave the field blank). Dashboard> Settings > Media, Under Media Files and Store uploads in this folder the field should be empty to go to the default Uploads directory.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

handcath
Ok thanks. The problem was indeed to be found in the WP Media settings. .com/wp-content/ is the default path in WP but unfortunately does not exist on my server. Resetting the path to .com/public_html/images fixed the problem.

Rob
I'm glad it did, even though it's odd to have public_html show in a URL. Very happy to have helped!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur