Sign in to follow this  
asuydam

FIA Gallery and Slide Deck

asuydam

Hello :) On my website, http://www.extremefitnessproducts.net/products/p90x/ I tried installing the FIA Gallery plugin and it broke my existing Slide Deck plugin. There are 5 parts to the slide deck and they showed up stacked instead of the nice scrolling left to right feature and that content also got all jumped up with the content below it. I disabled the slide deck and then where the gallery should show up it says "The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed" I then disabled the Gallery plugin and then the Slide Deck shows up fine. The weird part is that in my wordpress dashboard when I view the page, everything shows up fine with both of the plugins enabled. Anyone have any experience with this? I really like how the videos were showing up and I'd hate to not be able to use it. Or if someone could recommend another quality video plugin I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Aaron

Rob
Aaron, Conflicts between plugins are incredibly common. Also, people tend to ignore the latest status and feedback of WordPress users about plugins (i.e. how old it is, what version it supports, star ratings and whether it's reported as broken). A plugin won't necessarily show you an error on installation when it comes to conflicts with other plugins. Good ones - those written by professionals may, but those written by amateur coders won't. It is always advisable with plugins to look at the author's website and see how many he/she has published and view the plugins support forums to see how many people are having issues with it, and how frequently the forum is answered. Recently, I searched high and low for a recipe plugin that used the hRecipe format. Coming across one that appeared to be really great, I discovered it conflicted with just about everything, creating all sorts of custom post types, taxonomies, etc. When I tried to implement another plugin, both broke. Then suddenly, I realized, I couldn't use my slider or boxes - the recipe plugin conflicted with the custom post types. I just had to give up and on searching a bit more, found an excellent one that has worked without fail. Unfortunately, even with all the research I suggest, it's a matter of trial and error. One strong suggestion, if I may... when WordPress tells you a plugin needs an update - deactivate it first - then update and re-activate.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

asuydam
Rangelone, Thanks for the reply. After much frustration and beating my head against the wall trying 10 plugins, I found the all-in-one-video-pack by kaltura. While it isn't as fancy as the FIA Gallery, it does get the information I want on my site without breaking it. Have a good day! Aaron