Sign in to follow this  
shmokes

Pull data from Custom Fields in a Custom Post Type Template

shmokes

I have (with a bit of hand-holding) learned how to make templates for my custom post types but I am stuck on one last step. I want to include a table with product information at the top of every post. I input the product information in custom fields. Prior to making custom templates I inserted the table manually and I pulled data from the fields using shortcodes. However, when I put this stuff in my template and make a new post, the shortcode is simply displayed rather than pulling the proper information from the custom fields. Here is the code I put into my functions.php file (it displays properly, except that it shows the reader my shortcode rather than the information the shortcode is meant to pull from a custom field): ************************************************************************* add_action('pagelines_loop_before_post_content', 'book_info'); function book_info(){ if( get_post_type() == 'books' ) { echo "

Publisher / DeveloperAgePriceScore
[ecpt_field id='publisher/author'][ecpt_field id='age'][ecpt_field id='price'][ecpt_field id='score']
"; } } ************************************************************************* I've tried to shoehorn in the following line to pull the information from the custom fields in the proper way, but I'm getting the syntax wrong and breaking my site. I think I'm close, but I'm stuck. Can anyone help? Here's the line that I should use to put code from my custom fields into my template, but I'm just not sure how to integrate it into the table above: *************************************************************************

<?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID, 'publisher/author', true); ?>

kastelic
Try the do_shortcode function: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/do_shortcode

shmokes
Brilliant. Thank you. I was able to figure it out with that link (and a bit of trial-and-error). For future reference, here is the code that worked for me:
	add_action('pagelines_loop_before_post_content', 'book_info');
		function book_info(){
		if( get_post_type() == 'books' ) {
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "";
		echo "
Publisher / DeveloperAgePriceScore
"; echo do_shortcode('[ecpt_field id="publisher/developer"]'); echo ""; echo do_shortcode('[ecpt_field id="age"]'); echo ""; echo do_shortcode('[ecpt_field id="price"]'); echo ""; echo do_shortcode('[starreview tpl=16 post=% style="plain_green" size="16"]'); echo "
"; } }
This automatically puts a custom table at the top of my "Books" custom post type. The table automatically populates itself based on whatever I input in the custom fields. Thus, I fill in the form on the Word Press post edit screen like this: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/shmokes/Fields-Complete.png And the resulting table at the top of my posts looks like this: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/shmokes/Screenshot2011-08-25at102247AM.png

shmokes
Sorry about my code. I can't figure out how to put code into nice yellow boxes like the rest of you do.

Simon
use bbcode ;) code and /code wrapped in [] ;)

shmokes
Thanks. For reference, ignore the [quote]

[/quote] in my code up there. Those tags were an attempt to blockquote my code to make it easier to read.

red3media
Could this "if( get_post_type() == 'books' ) {" be easily modified to pull certain categories?