Sign in to follow this  
worldagent007

Sidebar beside Features, Carousels, Banners?

worldagent007

Is it possible to create a page where the the sidebar runs the length of the page and the features/carousels/boxes/banners (template area) adjust accordingly? Currently, the features run the width of the page then the sidebar ends up below it, adjusting to the content area only.

Rob
This gets a bit complex. Before I get into it, you should know that carousels don't do particularly well in a narrower mode. Boxes can handle it, but there are better ways of dividing up the main content area than adjusting the boxes. 1. You'll need to look at the Dashboard > PlatformPro > Layout editor and determine the width of your main content area. Whatever it is, subtract 20pixels. So, if it's 650, your potential image width is 630px - we'll call that the 'image width'. 2. Find, design or edit images for your featured slider measuring the image width and set height you want (as set up in the Feature Settings). 3. Upload your images by editing the Featured Sliders. In the smaller mode, you'll probably want to minimize descriptions and headings, and set most if not all the overlays to be at the bottom. 4. Go to PlatformPro settings > Custom Code and the Custom CSS area. 5. Add and edit to the applicable width and height the following code: #feature_slider div.default-features {width: 630px;} #feature-area {width: XXXpx} .home #feature-footer {width: XXXpx;} .home #feature_slider{width:XXXpx;} .home #feature-area, .feature-wrap {width: XXXpx;} .home #feature-footer {width: XXXpx;} .home #sidebar-wrap{margin-top:-YYYpx;} XXX will all be the same measurement - essentially the exact same width as your Feature Slider images. -YYY is the distance from the top where you want the top of the sidebar to start. Try -370 to start and adjust it up or down to see where the sidebar goes to match the top of your slider. Please see a live example of this in action at http://www.epicurus.com/Glossary or http:/www.epicurus.com/beverages

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

worldagent007
Wonderful! Thanks for the instructions. Appreciate the live example too. I'll give it a go. :)

Rob
Glad to help. Sometimes these things can't be answered in a single line and need a bit of detail. I'm glad you enjoyed it. BTW, none of that was templated. I write this stuff word by word. Please click the "Thanks" to let Pagelines know you're satisfied.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wonderwoman
This *almost* works for me - is it possible to do the same if the feature box is not on the home page?

worldagent007
Works nicely. How can I do the same thing for the banners and boxes on the home page?

worldagent007
Correction...the feature slider is smaller, which is good, but the sidebar does sit beside the feature slider. It the slider begins after the sidebar ends. See www.forsalebyanil.com Your thoughts?