Sign in to follow this  
yokaokojo

Wishlist member and forum on Platform Pro

yokaokojo

I am thinking of turning my site into a membership site using the WishList Member Plugin. I currently do not have the bbforum add on for Platform pro, but if I buy it, would I be able to make access to the forum only available to members? Also (this is a general unrelated question if there is anyone in the know out there): I'd like my members to be able to actually post to the blog. I know there is a plugin called TDO Mini Forms that allows you to do the trick.... Does anyone have experience with this plugin? Or suggest any other options?

Rob
You may wish to consider WP Symposium with S2Member (which I found to work very well with PlatformPro and WhiteHousePro. S2 has the advantage of built in levels of access you can set that have payment gateways built in just in case you want to charge for premium membership. WP Symposium allows members to post information to the blog. You can do this too with S2 Member by setting the default subscription level (when someone registers) to Author status.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

yokaokojo
WP Simposium. OK! I'll check that out. WishList, like the S2Member you suggested offers the same services. In fact, you can have various membership levels. It has author status. Good. But with these two platforms, when users post their recipes (in this case) will they have to work through the WORDPRESS backend? I am thinking a lot of users will not be in the least bit familiar with wordpress, so a simple form that I set up would be a better solution. I'll check out these plugins in any case. cheers!

Rob
Ah, Recipes!.. My site is one of the longest lasting food/recipe sites on the Web - since Oct 96. If you're publishing recipes, note that Google has adopted the hRecipe microformat. You will need a recipe format specific to that microformat to show up on the search engines. I've tried all of them and can actually recommend without reservation - EasyRecipe. Their support is outstanding. The form is easy to use and they'll help you customize anything. It's far less complex than RecipePress (which I found impossible) and hRecipe (plugin), which I found too rigid. http://www.orgasmicchef.com/easyrecipe/easyrecipe-wordpress-recipe-plugi/ I can also attest to the fact that it works perfectly within the Platform.

yokaokojo
Thanks so much! I was aware of neither a recipe plugin nor this so-called hRecipe microformat. What's your site, BTW? Orgasmicchef? :) (My recipes are at rawfoodhomerecipes.com, but I have not installed the pagelines theme there yet. I already have hundreds of recipes that I personally posted up there... I imagine this plugin can reformat everything easily. I can't imagine going in one by one... And BTW, I think I will probably go with S2 members, as it seems to offer all the bells and whistles of Wishlist. Is S2members an open source pluggin?

Rob
Actually, Orgasmicchef is owned by a woman originally from Maine now living with her husband near Brisbane, Australia. My site is epicurus.com (I'm still working on the backend before making the whole site Platform). I''ve been going in and editing one-by-one with 3400+ drinks recipe and can't figure out how I'll do 9000 food recipes. I used LOTS and LOTS of tools to categorize, write automated excerpts and tags. No fun. S2 is great. I think they have a pro edition so probably not open source.