Sign in to follow this  
freelansir

Feature Slider in Platform Pro - playing 2 videos

freelansir

My situation is I have a feature slider set up in my platform pro site, with FIVE videos that people can cycle through and play. My problem is, if someone starts playing one video, then cycles to the next "feature" and starts playing the 2nd video, they BOTH play at the same time without halting the first video. This is making it impossible to use this featured post functionality for playing multiple videos. How can I fix this? Here is my specific page: http://southwesternadvantageinternship.com/learn-more/

Jenny

You will need the child theme PlatformBase installed for this to work. Then add this to your PlatformBase functions.php (do not add to PlatformPro!): This is assuming the video is in position 3 in the feature... change the 3 below to whatever feature you need.

add_filter( 'pagelines_feature_autostop', create_function('', 'return 3;' ));

That will stop the transition on the 3rd feature. (PS. Found this using the search function here ;))

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

freelansir

PS - I did 1 - 6 because I had 6 total videos in the video feature slider. Not super programming savvy - am I simply doing the code wrong?

Rob

Is PlatformBase the default theme on your Wordpress installation? Or, do you have PlatformPro activated?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny

I'm not a PHP programmer but I assume since you want to stop after all 6 videos, that you will need to paste the filter 6 times and use the numbers 1 through 6 separately.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

freelansir
http://www.box.net/shared/hhs1dmqc431mkbplfxoh Could you check this image please - - - I had thought I did post the filter 6 times.. The behavior I would like is, if the user is on slider 1 and watching the video and it's still playing, switching to slider 2 would autostop the video currently playing (and then the user could play the video on feature slider 2 with no hassle)...

Jenny

I don't know if the extra spaces will mess up the code or not but it doesn't hurt to try. :) There are 2 extra spaces; 1 after the first ( and 1 after the last '. Like this:

add_filter('pagelines_feature_autostop', create_function('', 'return 3;'));

The original thread is here. If that doesn't help you, then someone with more PHP experience will have to follow up with this. :)

Rob

Jenny is correct, but I'll add that there's some parameter missing that actually clears the cache after viewing. For this reason, I'm not convinced that the Features Slider area is the best place for more than one video. Slider's have built in transition, but from slide to slide, not from content to content. The video caches in order to replay if desired. To transition from video to video, a complete clearing of that from a browser cache should be essential and that would slow down the viewer's ability to transition from one to the other. An alternative option would be to take a snapshot of your video, overlay it on top of the background and make the slide clickable to a page or post that contains the video. It would be MUCH easier, and you could include one of the videos so people can see an example of what they'll view when clicking.

Jenny

Also, when searching for image gallery plugins the other day, I did come across one that was video related. It creates a feature slider with videos and has an auto-shutoff feature like you're wanting. I don't remember what it was but Google search is my best friend. ;)

freelansir

Yeah, the extra space doesn't make a difference.. hmmmm... I was hoping to do everything through the pageline wordpress theme rather than bringing in extra sliders etc... sort of a last resort. Is there a way to force a page refresh every time you advance the slider as a temporary work around?

Rob

You can, but it would be incredibly unwise. The problem with the forced refreshes is that they're based on a set amount of time. Let's say 5 minutes. If the video someone watches in section 1 is 4mins 30 seconds, they'd have to wait 30 seconds. If another is 5 mins and 30 seconds, right before the end of the video, the visitor's browser would refresh. Additionally, it will not apply solely to the feature slider pages, but to the entire site, so while viewing your site, ever XXX seconds/minutes, the visitor's screen will reload. It will grossly annoy your visitors and cost you in traffic. Jenny's right again. Find a slider that's specific to video for your best results.