Sign in to follow this  
vindicus

Frontpage Without Content and Sidebar

vindicus

Hi! Frontpage Without Content and Sidebar is something I can't figure out how to get! I would like to get my Frontpage to only show this: Feature Slides Feaure Box Bottom Widget Footer In that order particular :) Much like this page: http://wsash.net/ I've been browsing this forum, and I came over a solution linked to this: http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_Working_with_WordPress#How_can_I_have_a_static_front_page_and_posts_display_on_a_page_called_Blog.3F Bottom line this requires that I make a new Template, and customize it. Which is WAY out of my coding knowledge (if there is any of that at all). So before, or if, I begin this adventure. Is there any shortcuts, any tips and tricks I've overlooked. I've seen a few other using WHP got it the way I want to which leads me to wonder, have I missed anything? I feel kind of stupid and abusive (3rd post in 48 hours?) and I do not want to be a burden. So if anybody got any topics that explains my query please forward me, as I'm not able to find them. Thanks -Tor

Jenny

All you need to do is create a new page and call it something like "Home". Then go to Wordpress -> Settings -> Reading, check the "static page" radio button and select the page you just created (i.e. Home). You can then customize what you want to appear in the page at the Template Setup Default Page area. Then just drag over the sections you want enabled. An important note: You will also need to drag over anything you want on your other pages (not posts) as well because you are creating a template for all pages which will be used by default. Definitely add the "Content" section otherwise other pages won't show any content. When you create pages in the future, you will need to uncheck anything you don't want to appear on those pages on the individual page options themselves (i.e. uncheck Feature if you don't want the feature slider to appear on a "contact me" page, etc). Hope that helps!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

vindicus

Whey! It helps! However, there's the problem. Since I'm not going to have any content there this is going to be a problem with all the other pages. A lot of them uses the Default one. I guess I have to make a Template of my own in order for this too work. Hmm Thanks anyways! Gave me a few Ideas

Rob

Don't forget that there's a control panel on both pages and posts (in edit mode) so you can turn off and turn on various components as you want them.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

vindicus

I saw those.. However.. What do I write in them if I wan't them disabled? I tried NO.. but it Didn't work haha. If I get the sidebar away, I'm not far from the result I want. as for now the fronpage look like this: http://www.on-hands.com I need the sidebar and the title of the post to go away :( Either people in general wnet trough all the new template stuff, or they did it like you. But I'm still hoping for a easier way out, because honestly, neither of them sound any easy to do. :(

Rob

This may require some customization or upgrading to Platform Pro and Base.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny

Isn't there a checkbox to disable to section you don't want to display? You can also hide the sidebar this way.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

vindicus

If I only knew which code to write in the Custom Field: sidebar_layout or the_sidebar - so it won't show. Then the problem would nearly be done The only checkbox i've found that removes the sidebar is the one who removes sidebars with no content in them. I've checked it, but my sidebar's still there. I might have to empty my default sidebar, and fill it with another, and then put sidebar on the frontpage to default. Another alternative.

Jenny

What is the name of your custom page? Whatever that page is (the page you don't want "content" or "sidebars" to display on), visit that page in the Wordpress -> All Pages and check the settings on the right and below for what you do/don't want to show.

vindicus

My name of the Custom Page is just Home (it's the frontpage) I am at that page in the All Pages settings. And those I want gone are all empty.

Jenny

You need to check the boxes to hide, not to show them. Does that help?

vindicus

I should have provided you with a screenshot, It's no such options :( HOWEVER - BREAKTHROUGH! I decide to stop being a demanding jerk, and decided to create a new template: So follow. This is the solution to anybody who wants what I've described at the top! Step1: Download these files in your FTP Client - Page_Feature.php - found in /www/wp-content/themes/whitehousepro - template_post.php - found in /www/wp-content/themes/whitehousepro/library Step2: Modify Page_Feature.php with this <?php if(VPRO) { /* Template Name: CHOSEN NAME OF TEMPLATE */ get_header(); get_template_part('library/template_posts2'); get_footer(); } ?> And save it as TEMPLATE_NAME.PHP Step3: Modify template_post.php with this: global $pagelines_ID; if(is_page_template('page-fullwidth.php') || is_page_template('page-fullhighlight.php') || is_page_template('page-carousel-full')) $full_width_page = true; else $full_width_page = false; if(is_page_template('page-carousel.php') || is_page_template('page-carousel-full.php')) $carousel_page = true; else $carousel_page = false; if(VPRO && (is_page_template('page-feature.php') || is_page_template('page-feature-page.php') || (is_home() && pagelines('featureblog')))) $featureslide_template = true; else $featureslide_template = false; if(VPRO && (is_page_template('page-feature.php') || m_pagelines('featureboxes', $pagelines_ID))) $fboxes_template = true; else $fboxes_template = false; if(VPRO && (is_page_template('page-frontpage.php') || is_page_template('page-feature-page.php') || (is_home() && pagelines('featureblog')))) $featureslide_template = true; else $featureslide_template = false; ?> <?php if($featureslide_template) get_template_part('pro/template_feature'); ?> <?php if($carousel_page) get_template_part('pro/template_carousel');?>

<?php if(!is_page_template('page-highlight.php') && !is_404()) get_template_part('library/_sub_head');?> <?php if(is_page_template('page-fullhighlight.php')) get_template_part ('pro/template_highlight'); ?> <?php if($fboxes_template) get_template_part('pro/template_fboxes');?> <?php get_template_part ('library/_contentfooter'); ?>
(all I did was removing the

Jenny

My mistake - I thought you were using PlatformPro. Sorry about that! I'm glad to see you figured out your answer! Certainly a much more technical route than I provided. hehe :) If you consider this topic closed you can either accept an answer or just let me know and I'll do it. If you need further help, please let us know!

vindicus

It's perfectly ok :) Your posts motivated me to do it the technical way. It wasn't as hard as it looks. Should have done it several hours ago! Wasted so much time on "fast" solutions - which where no good. If anybody else got troubles like this I sure hope they read this post! I would hate to be the next guy stuck with this problem! I'll close it :) Thanks for the help!

Jenny

I would have never even thought to do what you did.. so big kudos to you! And you are very welcome. :)