Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Need help with BuddyPress/bbPress

Rob

Yes, even a mod needs help from time to time and I'm willing to admit I do. I have an installation of Buddypress and bbPress at www.epicurus.com/discussion but I can't find any sources to have people register, and other than groups, no means of bringing them to the forums. How do I get the forum to show up on the front page of that section of my site?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob

Yes, I'm trying to create custom links to things, but I can't find anything. For example, there seems to be no registration form anywhere.

Rob

I used to have one, but this installation went very badly for me when at first the sidebars were pushed to the bottom.

Rob

OMG yes. Several times. What a mess!

catrina

Could it be because you have both forums running at the same time? Have you tried just using one over the other?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob

Absolutely. But this problem started when I just had BuddyPress installed and not bbpress as well. Buddypress has a reputation for pushing sidebars down because it tries to occupy the entire width of the layout. I removed Buddypress, installed bbpress. It worked initially, then everything disappeared. Apparently, when you deactivate, the content and settings remain in the database and which ever you have active can read the settings.

catrina

Do you have access to your database? If you're not using BuddyPress anymore, I think you can delete the database tables for it in phpMyAdmin.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Rob

Actually, I do, but since this whole thing erupted, I have now both BuddyPress and bbPress installed and operating, Admittedly, it's a very weird relationship. One seems dependent upon the other now. Old topics from the previous bbpress install still show up, but get a 404! error (on the right sidebar) and they're not in the database anymore. I removed them. I had at one point, removed bbpress and Buddypress from the database manually.

catrina

It is a weird relationship indeed! I'm not sure what to make of it or how both are working together and I don't think I've come across this issue before. I think the developers would need to take a look at it.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Jenny

I haven't used either in some time, but if I remember correctly, if you visit the main overview-like page for BP or BB, it tells you which links to use for pages such as register, login, etc, and how to add them to your menu. Sorry my response is so vague but like I said, it's been a while. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.