Sign in to follow this  
hapifamily

format category pages

hapifamily

Hello, how can I format the category pages to look like the blog page magazine layout, with one full width post at the top and the other post in 2 columns below. My entire site is a magazine type site with articles (posts) assigned certain pages via categories.

hapifamily
Hi Catrina, I did see that topic, but I need a little more information than that. from that topic: "You should be able to copy one of the template files in PlatformPro, renaming it to your purposes and modifying it to suit your needs"... I understand the concept of renaming and modifying an existing file, but I don't know how to modify the .php so the page looks how I want. If I need to make a new category template, then is it possible for someone to tell me exactly which file to modify, and what code to change in that file?

catrina
To modify the template so that it looks the way you want, you need to use the template.postloop.php file as the template since it has the magazine format. You need to make sure that you have PlatformBase activated so that you can copy the necessary files into the child theme folder and edit them there.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

hapifamily
Thanks for your help Catrina, So, I copied the template.postloop.php file from the platformpro file, to the platformbase file and renamed it category.php. Now ALL formatting has been removed from my category pages. That wasn't the result I was going for so I think I need another step. Can you help me out with that next step? All I am looking for is to have my category pages be displayed with one full width post at the top and the rest of the posts displayed below in two columns just like the magazine option for the blog page.

Kate
Hello, If you're planning on using template.postloop.php, you must leave it the same name when you copy it over. You can modify things inside of the file, (including category posts).

hapifamily
Thanks Kate, I don't know .php so Is there anyway someone could tell me what .php to modify in that file and what it needs to be changed to?

Rob
I'm not sure why you are rejecting Kate's guidance, but she's absolutely correct. You need to change the file name back to template.postloop.php in the platformbase.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

hapifamily
Oh sorry... I rejected it because it still does not answer my original question: how to make the category post page look like the blog magazine layout with one full width post at the top, and the rest of the posts below it in 2 columns.

Rob
Well, if the file is misnamed, and not hooked properly, likely it won't work properly.

hapifamily
sorry for being unclear, I took her advise, I actually deleted the renamed file, then I recopied template.postloop.php from platform pro to platform base. Yes my category page returned to it's original formatting, but it did not solve my original question.

Rob
I will bump this up to a developer for additional attention.

hapifamily
Hey Pagelines support, what happens now? will a developer join in on this discussion and answer my question?