Sign in to follow this  
yalegurneyinc

Newbie here/may be an easy fix-need help

yalegurneyinc

I have several questions that are most likely very basic to the average web person (which I am not). My site can currently be viewed @ edit.yalegurney.com * On my home page (can this be a splash page/should it be?), I need things to look a certain way and am having trouble moving them around. For example, next to the video on the left, I want to have my "about" statement there. * Under the video and "about" statement, I then want the 2 column setup that states what we do (event, unit photography and 2 others) * Once you click on any of our services (the 2 column setup), I want 1 page for each to open that will show the rest of the entire statement (it reads "more" at the bottom of each on the home page) and then several videos under that in a 2 or 3 column setup. I know this is simple but I cannot figure out how the layout works to ensure I see what I need. Thanks for ANY help or suggestions.

Rob

In regard to the adjacent "about" statement, that should be a widget in a sidebar. See this link to learn how to get your sidebar next to the feature slider. You can see an example of this at www.epicurus.com/Glossary/ Unfortunately, you're using boxes for About, etc and those don't fit into the sidebar and won't be able to go on the side. You need to place that content in text widgets by going into the Appearances > Widgets area and selecting "Text", dragging it to the sidebar you're using and pasting the content from each box into each text widget. Just add a snippet of the text. Perhaps 25 words or less. Go to Pages on your Dashboard and Add New. Create a new page for each subject and paste the full text you wish people to see. Save it, view it (not preview) and copy the URL. Paste that as a link in each applicable widget. Something like More info... (as you wish it to appear.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

yalegurneyinc

For some reason, I cannot create a side bar on my main page located at edit.yalegurney.com. I'd be fine with the branding, then menu, then video with sidebar on side and then the 4 box setup beneath video and about. Also, when I try and write something either on top or on bottom of the featured video, I then have it written twice automatically (doubled up) - if I write on top, then there's 2 paragraphs on top, if on bottom - then 1 on top and one on bottom. Bizarre.

Rob

I just looked at your site and I see you're using soapboxes, and there is a sidebar below with text and above it, a search box. You need to spend some time going through the Docs section and watching the videos. Start here. http://www.pagelines.com/docs/design-control In my own case, when I was a newbie, just a few months ago, I watched the videos several times, stopping them, doing what was suggested, returning to the videos and repeating things 'ad nauseum' but it worked. The Docs are great and incredibly helpful. Your site seems to be having issues about the Design Layout. This can be difficult to understand so I'll give you a brief overview. You noticed it's drag and drop. If you have a template that includes Boxes and Soapboxes, you will see duplicate content. See http://www.pagelines.com/docs/boxes-soapboxes The sidebar is low on the page because on your template you have the soapboxes, carousel and possibly other components above the main content area. Sidebars will, by default, be on the side of the main content. You just need to take time to do things with great patience, considerable research and you'll have a kick (you know what) website. The boxes and soapboxes are, just to clarify, by default, set to occupy the entire width of the layout.

yalegurneyinc

Thank you so much for helping out. I have been trying to avoid real timely research for this but I think it may be inevitable. Onward and upward. Yikes.

Rob
Think positively! It's a learning experience.