Sign in to follow this  
emidzi

Increasing Global Content Width in Platform Pro

emidzi

I would like a greater content width than 1212. Is this possible?

Rob

I have escalated your question to the developers for their attention. But I have a question for you. Why would you want to do that? So many people use computers that limit their view of a page, such an action would prevent them from seeing your full site without scrolling side to side.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

emidzi

I find on my site, that the content looks crowded and jumbled. Not only would I like a greater content width, but I would like to be able to change the spacing between columns. I would like more space between them as well. http://superfrugalette.com

catrina

Perhaps the margin space between the columns could be increased to make it look less crowded without increasing the width.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

catrina

Please add the following CSS to Custom Code > Custom CSS to adjust the margin spaces between the post content and sidebars:

#column-main div.mcolumn-pad {margin-left: 20px; margin-right: 20px;}

One more suggestion for making the site look less crowded: decrease the font size of the post content by 1 or 1.5px and increase the line spacing a bit (but not too much). That way, there appears to be less text content crowding the middle of the site.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

emidzi

Using this custom code did not work for me. I even changed it to 30 & 30. However, I attempted to enter custom code last night and I was not able to do so. Could there be other problems preventing me from successfully entering custom code?

emidzi

Also, where would I change the font?

Rob

You change the fonts in PlatformPro > Typography. Under each font, there's an edit button where you can widen the space or narrow it between letters. Try different fonts for different purposes, and colors to see if that changes your site's look. Earlier you said in response to me that you thought your site looked crowded. I just browsed it and honestly, it's not crowded at all. In fact, it looks great. Again, out of curiosity, have you tried setting up a Magazine Layout? Check out http://www.epicurus.com/Glossary or http://www.epicurus.com/beverages to see how this can be done. My glossary site has 19,500+ posts. Should we talk crowded? Seriously, your site looks fantastic. Congrats on a job well done!

emidzi

I like your site for food since you are quickly scanning for information regarding food. Thus, the magazine layout works. For my site, my main post is the focal point with additional information on the site. I just want more space between the columns. Whne I click on platform pro, I do not have "Typography". I have a "Text and Fonts" section but no "Typography". FYI - I haven't come to the forum in months, but I love this new set up. It is so helpful.

catrina

Which version of PlatformPro are you running? The latest version has a section called "Typography". Please try the following CSS for the margin spacing:

#column-main #theloop {margin-left: 20px; margin-right: 20px;}

Designer | Catrina Dulay

emidzi

I am running PlatformBase 1.0.4 This CSS did not work. However the CSS for moving my social icons down so that when you hover over them, you can "click" them has not worked either. Is this on account of the version?

Rob

Yes. You should be using 1.4.1. Is the version you're using a free version?

emidzi

No. It isn't a free version. I paid for it. I will look for upgrading directions and then attempt the css again.

emidzi

Theme install failed. Unpacking the package??¦ Installing the theme??¦ Destination folder already exists. /var/www/vhosts/superfrugalette.com/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/platformpro/ Theme install failed. Any suggestions.

Jenny

Hi emidzi. The first thing you should do is export your settings (done at the bottom of the PlatformPro page) and save them to your computer. You can add your Pagelines login information to the bottom of the "Misc settings" page in PlatformPro to configure automatic updates. If that doesn't work, (again, make sure you export your settings first) browse to the /wp-content/themes/platformpro/ folder and delete it. Then reinstall the theme.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

emidzi

I cannot locate the "Misc settings" in PlatformPro.

Rob

On the left in your Dashboard, PlatformPro > Misc Settings (should be next to the last setting tab in Platform Pro Settings). You may have to do this upgrade the old fashioned way and FTP the content to your wp-content/themes directory.

emidzi

Platformpro no longer exists on my site.

Rob

Which two folders did you delete? How? Why? Overwriting would have worked. Let's start from scratch. Your content is secure and I checked - Wordpress is still present on your site. Only the template is missing. We can fix that easily. You need the latest PlatformPro and Base. Make sure you go to http://www.pagelines.com and login. ON the landing page, you should see Your Products. Download them and open each of them. Save the two files in two separate directories in your My Documents area on your computer. FTP into your site. Path your FTP client to /wp-content/themes. Upload BOTH the PlatformPro and PlatformBase directories to that subdirectory. You should now have /wp-content/themes/platformbase and /wp-content/themes/platformpro. Login to your site as admin. On the Dashboard, go to "Appearance" and select PlatformBase as your current theme. Your site should be back, though it may require replacement of custom code... May. I'm not sure. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

emidzi

I have made a bunch of progress using your approach, but I still have some problems: PlatformPro is listed as my current theme. I have tried to find and install Platformbase. However this is the respons that I receive: Broken Themes The following themes are installed but incomplete. Themes must have a stylesheet and a template. Name Description PlatformBase The parent theme is missing. Please install the "platformpro" parent theme. My site is up, but not fully working.

Jenny

From your comment, it looks like you don't have PlatformPro installed. Just to alleviate any confusion, you need both PlatformPro and Platform Base installed. The theme you activate is Platform Base. Platform Base will not work without PlatformPro installed as well.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

emidzi

My summary as of yesterday: 1) I downloaded Platformbase and PlatformPro from launch pad. 2) I FTPed into the site and placed the files in the directory as mentioned in Rangelone's suggestions. 3) I installed PlatformPro. 4) My dashboard looks different. I have the updated version of PlatformPro. It states "PlatformPro" on the left hand side as my theme. When I click on themes "Platform Pro" 1.5.2 is listed as my current theme. 5) When I attempt to install Platform Base, it is not offered and it tells me to install the parent theme. It appears to me that I have installed the parent theme. 6) My site is up. However, there are errors on the site such as my social icons are not listed even though the information for the social icons is listed in the exact same format as in the previous version I was running. I checked the location to insert the information for the icons. As of today: 7) I tried to install Platformbase again. It is not listed under "Installed" or "Managed". The only way to get WP to acknowledge Platformbase is to upload it zipped. I tried to do this but WP said that "the folder already existed". 8) I decided to go back into the FTP site and delete the Platformbase folder (/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/platformbase)so that I could upload it again It failed because the "folder already existed". I went back to the FTP side and deleted (which was the listing given to me). I then attempted upload platformbase zipped from the launchepad version that I have saved.This completely crashed my site-it went white. 8) I looked under "Managed Themes" and "Installed Themes" and PlatformPro 1.5.2 was available to me in each section. I uploaded the PlatformPro because it is better than nothing. However, I am back to square 1. I still do not have PlatformBase installed. The note reading at the bottom of my Managed Themes is Theme Broken. Parent theme "PlatformPro" is missing. Please install "PlatformPro". Obviously, I have installed PlatformPro. Any other suggestions? http://superfrugalette.com